Wyeast 3056- fermenting slowly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shibbypwn

Reaction score
I made a bavarian hefe kit from northern brewer, using a smack pack of Wyeast 3056.

I had heard from lots of people on this forum that this yeast was a beast at fermentation, but mine's been rather sluggish.

I pitched my yeast 11 days ago, and I've been fermenting at 65 degrees-in the past few days I've let the temp slowly creep up to 68 or so to help the yeast get it's job done.

O.G. was 1.044, and the reading I took today was 1.020- so it's still got a ways to go.

Is it normal for this yeast to take so long to ferment? I've had 1.092 beers that fermented faster than this. I just didn't expect it to move so slowly given everything people told me about this yeast.

Pitched around 70, didn't make a starter, aerated via shaking my carboy.

thanks!

How old was the yeast? Give the carboy a rousing for a minute or 2 and see what becomes of it.

The yeast was Mfg in May- so only a month old (brewed on 6/6).

I let it swell for about 36 hours- my only concern is that it was delivered to my apartment managers' office and then left their overnight, unrefrigerated. I live in Texas, so the truck temp was probably high also.

I've resolved to buying all of my yeast at my LHBS from now on

Shipped in the heat like that a starter is always recommended but either way I think you will be fine.. I made a hefe with 3056 and the yeast took off like a bat of hell but that doesnt mean something is wrong with your brew.. be patience and the yeasties will come around i am sure... no worries

Back