Wyeast 2565 pitch like lager or ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwipen

Reaction score
Considering the low fermentation temperature for Wyeast 2565 would you pitch it like a lager or an ale?

I think it'll be be fermenting close to 56-58F/13,3-14,4C. I haven't decided yet.

This strain is a classic, true top cropping yeast strain from a traditional brewery in Cologne, Germany. Beers will exhibit some of the fruity character of an ale, with a clean lager like profile. It produces low or no detectable levels of diacetyl. This yeast may also be used to produce quick-conditioning pseudo-lager beers and ferments well at cold 55-60°F (13-16°C) range. This powdery strain results in yeast that remain in suspension post fermentation. It requires filtration or additional settling time to produce bright beers.

Based on this I would treat it like an ale (top cropping). But I would ferment on the cool end. I would make a starter a bit larger than a normal ale just to be on the safe side.

I usually pitch and ferment around 56°-58° and ferment at that temp 5-6 days then raise it slowly to 65°-ish for a diacetyl rest.

Based on this I would treat it like an ale (top cropping). But I would ferment on the cool end. I would make a starter a bit larger than a normal ale just to be on the safe side.

How much is a bit if the standard is 0,75 million cells/ml/degree plato?

I would run it through a pitch rate calculator and if it told me I needed a 1 liter starter I would probably do a 1.25 liter starter. Maybe 1.5L, depending on how cool I was going to ferment. The colder the bigger the starter.

Back