Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager II temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfan99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a Munich Helles recipe kit that came with Wyeast 2352. I was getting ready to brew this batch when I noticed that my chest freezer has died. I am unable to replace the chest freezer for several months and am worried about the yeast getting too old. So, I figure my options are the following:

1. Wait for 3-6 months for the freezer and use the same yeast. Will it still be good?

2. Use this yeast anyway and ferment in my closet at around 72-75 degrees. I'm sure this will "work" but will the end product be any good? (I realize it wont' be a Munich Helles).

3. Order a Kolsch or some other type of ale yeast and brew with that instead. Will that yield a better beer than using the lager yeast at a high temp?

If it matters, the recipe is 9 lbs Pilsener and .5 lbs CaraPils.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome.

Order a kolsch or alt yeast. That, or make a swamp cooler and use the lager yeast. I can keep a lager at 52-55 during summer in my swamp cooler.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may give the swamp cooler a try. I guess I'll need to do that in the bath tub to avoid any water "mishaps". Light may be an issue but I'll just cover it with some towels or something. If I had an LHBS I'd probably just pick up a Kolsch yeast and be done with it...but I'm not driving an hour for a package of yeast.

Thanks!

Back