Wyeast 2035 American Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
Searching around here and google and I can't seem to find much more than what is posted on Wyeast and a handful of threads on here. So who has used this and would you prefer it over a similar Wyeast or Whitelabs yeast for an American style lager?

Searching around here and google and I can't seem to find much more than what is posted on Wyeast and a handful of threads on here. So who has used this and would you prefer it over a similar Wyeast or Whitelabs yeast for an American style lager?

I haven't seen this yeast, and your post intrigues me. I've been using Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager for my house Pilsner with excellent results. The only issue I have found is achieving crystal-like clarity. If you use it, please report back, or send me a pm on what kind of clarity you find.

Bumping

Brewed up Biermunchers Cream of the 3 crops recipe but subbed in this for yeast. 1.5L stir plate decanted and pitched into a 3L stir plate and pitched February 20th in the evening, OG 1.052.

Sample pulled today February 26th SG 1.030. Little bit of sulfur in the smell, none in the taste. No diacetyl tasted. Very "tart" taste that I'm attributing to the yeast at this point since I have never tasted a 6 day old still actively fermenting beer.

Yeast is going much slower than I expected. Pitched at 42, rasied to 48 and it's bubbling once ever second or two.

Update
2 weeks after pitching the gravity is down to 1.008 and the extreme tartness has been reduced greatly so the tartness is just the flavor the yeast puts off before it can clean up.

Apparently they are ending production of this strain, and I liked that it was from the Schell brewery, so I got a pack.

I have a plan for an all malt, 1.055, pre-prohibition style lager: Pils, vienna, and wheat with Sterling hops to combine a bit of new with old. Will report back

Beer finished full fermentation in 2 weeks. Started at 55F; bubbling in 12 hours. I had a slight temp control malfunction which bumped it up to 60F on day 5, so I got it back down to 58 to finish. At 10 days most activity was finished so I bumped up to 68 to finish and clean diacetyl. FG at 1.014 which is 74% AA (mash started at 156 so a bit more sweetness).

It sat in my basement in a keg for about 2 weeks before there was room to lager. It's slowly clearing and the taste is off because of the yeast settlement, but it's got that AMERICAN lager tatse that is so prevalent. It'll be served at a party in May, so I will let it lager at 38F until then.

The flavor is definitely American. It tastes like PBR and other alternative macros. To me, it does not work well in a craft beer sense because it tastes like strong macro beer. The craft malt and sterling hops didn't do enough to alter the base flavor which is undeniably American crap lager. But let's see how it fares after a month of lagering.

Back