Wyeast 1968

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUBrewer

Reaction score
Brand new to this. Second batch starting tomorrow ESB with Wyeast1068.
Is using this yeast as simple as back of packet imply or do I need to go through the long starter process starting tonight. Read what to expect regarding fast, aggressive activity but completely UNFAMILIAR with liquid yeasts and what to do to prep. Any prep instruction links or reassurance would be appreciated.
Thanks

What is your batch size and anticipated starting gravity? What is the MFG date on the pack? I typically always make a starter, but when I was first starting to brew I would pitch one vial of White Labs yeast without a starter. Once I got my hands on a stir plate and flask (about 5-6 batches into my brewing life), I started always making a starter to pitch the amount of cells recommended for the beer I was making. If you want to keep it simple you can just pitch the smack pack. Make sure to take it out of the fridge when you start your brew day, smack it to break the nutrient pillow, and let it swell up before pitching.

Here is a link to Palmer's primer on yeast prep:
Palmer - Yeast

Here's a handy calculator for determining yeast starter volume and how much yeast you need for your beer (also has links to good info on yeast starters):
Yeast Starter Calculator

The 1968 ESB London yeast is excellent. I found it to be very fast and highly flocculent, more than expected. A 1.050-1.060 OG 5 gall batch should be no trouble for a newish (check the date) smack pack. That said, my yeast arrived frozen, so I made a 1L starter 24 hours prior to pitch. Fermentation was obvious after six hours. I had a huge yeast cake and harvested more than enough for a second batch which is just finishing up. I found my ESB to be very fruity compared to the 1098 British Ale yeast or the dry s-04. For what it's worth, that's the way I like 8C English ales.

Batch 5 gal
OG 1.058
Mfg date jan 7th 2015 100 bill cells
Downloaded MrMalty calc and indicates need 200 bill but also varies with a viability setting and a growth factor setting. Not sure what those are yet.

You could just pitch it without a starter and worry about learning how to make a starter later on. The yeast is fresh, so it will probably be fine.

I've made it with and without a starter, make sure your temp is under control and such, it can throw some diacetyl.

This yeast is one of my favorites, I use it as my house yeast strain lately, my milds, ordinary bitters, ESBs IPAs , stouts, it's amazing stuff, I love the flavors it imparts, and the flocculation is amazing, it does its thing then WHAM, it drops out clear.

I have enough yeast from cakes to last for years if I don't harvest from any more batches.

But I'm a hoarder....

Absolutely love this yeast. Had great success with two special bitter recipes and just checked the FG on an IPA I am trying out with nice results. Have not had any annoying fruity or buttery flavors to deal with. Primarily finishes as malt forward compared to other American ale varieties.

I don't use a starter but instead pitch two smack packs at about 62 degrees with ambient temp at 64. Internal temp gets up to 69 degrees or so. Get attenuation around 80%.

Have yet to find something I do NOT like about Wyeast 1968. Looking forward to trying it out on a variety of styles.

1968 is perfect in ESB's and pretty good all the way around for English ales.

If it wasn't for your time crunch, I would make a starter for this beer. Although it states "professional level pitch rates" by direct pitching the smack pack into your wort, most of us here would advise to pitch more than that. I will direct pitch the smack packs into ales that are 1.040 and below. Maybe on up to 1.045. Above that and I would make a yeast starter. That takes at least a day or two to complete, so not sure its in your current schedule. Aerate the crap out of your wort and it should be fine.

If you don't make a starter for this batch (and some esters are okay for the style), then plan it into your schedule for your next one. Give yourself 3 days to complete it before brewing your main batch. Its almost a requirement when using liquid yeast IMO.

As solbes said, just pitch it, but aerate well. What does aerate well mean? For me, put the lid on the fermeter, cover the hole where the air lock would go and shake the crap out of it for three minutes. Why three? 'Cause I need some consistency in my brewing life and that is what I use for these sorts to things. Stirs the crap out of the mash for batch sparge - 3 minutes. Aerate - three minutes.

Next time, make a starter. It'll put your mind at ease.

Back