First Cider, was my Yeast DOA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MykeEchoes

Reaction score
So I am sitting just past the 26 hour mark from the time I pitched 2 packets of Red Star Premier Blanc yeast into my 5 gallons of apple cider. I added yeast nutrient according to package instructions and then mixed everything well. I am using a 7.9 G Fastferment to do all this in. So my question is this, How do I know if I got a bad batch of Yeast? No visible bubbles on inspection of the liquid in the carboy, no movement of the airlock although I know I have positive pressure and things are airtight. I have hydrated several other packets and none of them foamed up properly (at least not like what happens when I prep yeast to bake with) although I didn't check the yeast I initially pitched. I'm really hoping it's just my lack of patience but I am becoming increasingly discouraged. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

I've got the small 3 gallon FastFerment conical. I haven't seen an air bubble yet whether I use a blow off tube or airlock. Besides, I don't put much into such other than their entertainment value. Measuring the Specific Gravity is the only simple way to tell if something is happening towards it fermenting.

I got rid of their plastic valve and put a NPT to 1.5" sanitary flange on mine with SS butterfly valve and sight glass. Works much more reliably for me now.

The plastic ball valve with the attachments was giving me fits. I lost an entire batch do to the valves core unscrewing as I removed the mason jar adapter to put on the hose barb for bottling.

I've got the small 3 gallon FastFerment conical. I haven't seen an air bubble yet whether I use a blow off tube or airlock. Besides, I don't put much into such other than their entertainment value. Measuring the Specific Gravity is the only simple way to tell if something is happening towards it fermenting.

I got rid of their plastic valve and put a NPT to 1.5" sanitary flange on mine with SS butterfly valve and sight glass. Works much more reliably for me now.

The plastic ball valve with the attachments was giving me fits. I lost an entire batch do to the valves core unscrewing as I removed the mason jar adapter to put on the hose barb for bottling.
I actually had to electrical tape the lid to get an airtight seal, after going through several gaskets and other methods to no avail that is the only thing that has worked for me. Getting a lot of activity today and the smell in my office/brew room is amazing. Smells like apples and a bakery.

I like the steep side of their conicals. I'm just not sure what they were thinking when they put threads on both the lid and the bottom to connect the valve. A snap on lid with just an o-ring would and a molded 1.5" sanitary or tri-clamp fitting on the bottom would seem better to me.

I actually had found some cpvc ball valves with sanitary connections and other fittings. But I guess the threaded stuff was cheaper for them. I went with all stainless steel fittings from AliExpress and they didn't cost a small fortune.

Back