Wyeast 1217-PC West Coast IPA source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extremely clean flavor. No detectable esters or off flavors. The wheat in this really comes through. Can't wait to use this with some MO or Golden Promise. Has some haze as this is the first pour off the keg and its 50% wheat.

1393467861069.jpg

I also sent Wyeast an email regarding 1217 and asking that it be made a year round offering. Michael Dawson replied that he is getting a lot of good feedback on the yeast and is pushing to make it year round. At the very least, it will return as a seasonal private collection strain for sure.

A few other notes. Wyeast states the temp range on this yeast to be 62-74 degrees F. Last time I used this yeast in a DIPA, I kept it on the low end of the fermentation range and I was disappointed in the attenuation (1.081 to 1.018, or 77%, which I know is decent but I wanted it lower) but very pleased with the flavor profile. Going on the assumption that this is the Stone house yeast, I looked back in the IPA book by Mitch Steele. For the Stone clone recipes, he recommends using the Stone yeast and fermenting at 72 degrees until terminal gravity is reached, then lowering the temp to 62.

I recently made the DIPA recipe again (the Enjoy By clone floating around out there) and revived some 1217 yeast I had washed from a previous batch. This time I am keeping the fermentation temp around 72 until I am satisfied it is done - aiming for 1.014 as the final gravity. That is a higher temp than I usually ferment my American style ales, but we'll see what happens with it. It has been thumping away vigorously for the past few days but fermentation is slowing the the temperature dropping. I may warm it up a bit tonight.

Well, using the higher temp definitely worked. The yeast took the beer from 1.083 to 1.008 in four days. Whoops! I'm now taking it down to 60°F and will transfer to secondary in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Has anyone else been having clarity issues with this yeast? The past two beers I've made with 1217 have turned out cloudy and won't clear no matter how long I leave them in the fridge. Both were IPAs, base malt only grain bills (MO/2-Row), and dry hopped. I always throw irish moss into the boil and I did not gelatin/cold crash these as this yeast is advertised as a good flocculator. Anyone else having this issue?

I wish i could be of help. I mentally explored the concept of making a clear IPA but then decided against it as adding fining agents would strip the hop oils out of solution. My hot and cold break is good. I cold crash. I use whirlfloc. My WLP001 was more cloudy than my 1217's were. Can't say i like the cloudiness but flavor is king.

I have not seen actual evidence to support the theory that finings decrease hop flavors/aroma/bitterness, but I know people who go by anecdotal evidence.

I've now made three beers with this yeast. The IPA is perfectly clear, but I did put it in a secondary fermenter before dry hopping and then I cold crashed it before kegging. I didn't add any additional finings other than Super HBMoss in the kettle as is my usual procedure.

The first DIPA I made was very hazy. I did not put it in a secondary prior to dry hopping, but I did cold crash it prior to kegging. The haze was bugging me so I put gelatin in the keg eventually and that seemed to help. But it was always a bit cloudy. The second DIPA I just racked to secondary last night, put in the dry hops, and put it straight into the fridge for a cold crash. It was a little hazy going into secondary and I will update in a week or so when I keg it.

The clearest beer I have made so far is a big ipa with this yeast. Kettle to keg in 10 days with dry hopping, gelatin and cold crash. I'm brewing another batch (SN Torpedo) with this yeast and hope for the same clarity. I'll report back in 2 weeks with those results.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Home Brew mobile app

I'm making a 1.082 OG with this yeast now. Made a big starter from a lot of banked yeast. The temperature strip on the side says 25/26 C 77/79 F. I've never had the yeast run this hot. I wonder how its esters will manifest.

I brewed a small 3 gallon smash (as a starter that I can drink) with this 1217 and then brewed a BIG DIPA this last weekend and pitched onto the yeast cake. Fermenting away nicely. 1.090 OG with 1lb of hops and more will go into dry hop also.

Has anyone else been having clarity issues with this yeast? The past two beers I've made with 1217 have turned out cloudy and won't clear no matter how long I leave them in the fridge. Both were IPAs, base malt only grain bills (MO/2-Row), and dry hopped. I always throw irish moss into the boil and I did not gelatin/cold crash these as this yeast is advertised as a good flocculator. Anyone else having this issue?

I've done several different IPA's & a Pale Ale using 1217 w/o any issues. All were dry hopped in secondary. & keg conditioned. The clarity was great.
In primary they all fermented vigorously for three to four days & them dropped out very cleanly.

There is a youtube video of 3 dudes talking about the yeast. They brewed different beers with it. Its good to watch. Its a super easy yeast to work with. And they are right. It doesn't have much of its own taste. Just ferments out clean and lets the hops
and malt shine. I've only used WLP001 once and didn't like it nearly as much as 1217.

This thread really makes me want to use this yeast.

Unfortunately it was a limited release. I hope Wyeast decides to make it a part of their regular line up!
In the meantime I've been using another of their limited releases, the Burton IPA yeast great results. So far I've done an English Pale Ale & I used it on the Award Winning IPA recipe posted here on HBT.

Unfortunately it was a limited release. I hope Wyeast decides to make it a part of their regular line up!
In the meantime I've been using another of their limited releases, the Burton IPA yeast great results. So far I've done an English Pale Ale & I used it on the Award Winning IPA recipe posted here on HBT.

Right. Should have mentioned that. It is a lot better than some of their other year rounders! Someone email Dawson.

Not to my knowledge. It is believed 1217 is the Stone house yeast, which is of an English origin, somewhere between WLP002/1968 and WLP007. WLP090 is described as a derivative of WLP001/1056 and with a higher alcohol tolerance.

Not to my knowledge. It is believed 1217 is the Stone house yeast, which is of an English origin, somewhere between WLP002/1968 and WLP007. WLP090 is described as a derivative of WLP001/1056 and with a higher alcohol tolerance.

Hmm... the attenuation is far greater with this yeast than it is for WLP007 or 002. I'd assume a profile more like 090 personally, clean and dry.

Whatever it is, it is awesome!

Anyone noticing a LOT of diacetyl during fermentation? I'm 6 days in, still in primary, gravity is reading around a 1.020 (mostly done...) and flavor is very butterscotch and slick...

I'm sure it will clear as it heads towards tg, was just wondering if others were getting this.

Never noticed any D with this yeast. Will let you know tomorrow when I have a hydrometer taste. I let this batch run hot!

Mine fermented on the cooler side, low 60's, maybe that's why they haven't cleaned all the diacetyl yet.

I'm not too worried about it :)

Hmm... the attenuation is far greater with this yeast than it is for WLP007 or 002. I'd assume a profile more like 090 personally, clean and dry.

Yes, it is a great yeast no matter what it is and it seems extremely versatile. I just don't think it is the same as WLP090, but I could be wrong. Assuming it is the Stone yeast, WLP002 and 007 are the recommended substitutes by Mitch Steele in his IPA book. Here are the stats on the different yeasts as provided by White Labs and Wyeast. To me, this yeast falls somewhere between WLP001 and WLP007.

WY1217
Alc Tolerance: 10%
Flocc: Medium-High
Atten: 73-80%
Temp: 62-74

WLP001
Alc: High
Flocc: Medium
Atten: 73-80%
Temp: 68-73

WLP002
Alc: Medium
Flocc: Very High
Atten: 63-70%
Temp: 65-68

WLP007
Alc: Medium-High
Flocc: Medium to High
Atten: 70-80%
Temp: 65-70

WLP090
Alc: High
Flocc: Medium to High
Atten: 76-83%
Temp: 65-68

Racking to keg now. OG 1.082 FG 1.012 previous was OG 1.045 FG 1.004. One before that was OG 1.068 FG 1.008 and the one prior to that OG 1.060 FG 1.008

I think my results are pretty consistent given the varying gravities. This yeast shows great attenuation, flocculation and imparts no flavours of its own that I can detect. I really do like it. I started with 1 smack pack months ago and have recycled it 3 times now.

I've kegged, carbed, and sampled the Arrogant Bastard inspired beer I made. The malt character tastes great, and I don't regret using this strain one bit, even for a beer like AB!

So now I've made a pale ale and this beer, and soon I'll be ramping up for my IPA and my Northwest Amber Ale. This yeast is the least of my concerns at this point.

I'll be writing into Wyeast soon asking for a year-round release.

Another IPA which is a resounding success with this yeast. Clear and well fermented letting the hops shine through. So glad I picked up the very last pack from my LHBS.

I almost washed this yeast away not realizing how crazy flocculant it is. Re growing a culture now.

I pitched a 2L starter of this about 16 hours ago into an IPA. It's fermenting like crazy and it's a good thing I had the blow off on. I'm afraid of the temp though, it's at about 72 right now. The only other place in my house is the basement which will be around 56* which I think is too low. Think it will produce a lot of esters at the temp it's at now?

I pitched a 2L starter of this about 16 hours ago into an IPA. It's fermenting like crazy and it's a good thing I had the blow off on. I'm afraid of the temp though, it's at about 72 right now. The only other place in my house is the basement which will be around 56* which I think is too low. Think it will produce a lot of esters at the temp it's at now?

I think you will be fine at that temp. A little cooler would be ideal, but the basement sounds too cold.

Fwiw, the last beer I used this yeast in got too cold, flocced early and left a higher than desired FG with a rather discernible amount of diacetyl in the finished beer.

72 inside of crazy fermentor or 72 ambient air?

Thanks for the input Hollis.

Timeless - I was thinking about that after I posted. My ambient temp is at 64 with 72 reading on my fermometer. I know the fermentation process raises the temp a few degrees like it has on my previous brews but I've never had one, or read about one raising 8* before. I am still new to this all though.

Your beer will come out well.

Had it been 72 ambient. Would have pushed the internal temp to 78 + then it may have turned into a lovely weird banana IPA.

I fermented a DIPA at 72° with this yeast and had no off-flavors. Very clean still and the attenuation was excellent. I wouldn't worry about it.

I fermented a DIPA at 72° with this yeast and had no off-flavors. Very clean still and the attenuation was excellent. I wouldn't worry about it.

This stuff is super yeast. I can't say enough good stuff about it nor have I had any bad experiences with it. Only excellent. I'm not looking forward to when my supply mutates. Since I have heard it is not available anymore. Way better than WLP001 in my opinion.

Well everything calmed down and my ferment is back to 63*. Excited for the end results in a few weeks. Thanks again to all that replied.

Its been 13 days since my brew day and my gravity has been stuck at 1.021 for the past week. OG was 1.062 with a target FG of 1.016. My temp dropped a little and is at 61 on the fermometer right now. Think it's stuck, done, or just needs more time?

Its been 13 days since my brew day and my gravity has been stuck at 1.021 for the past week. OG was 1.062 with a target FG of 1.016. My temp dropped a little and is at 61 on the fermometer right now. Think it's stuck, done, or just needs more time?

That's the same thing that happened to my last brew with this yeast... You can try warming it up and see if it moves any more, but the yeast is likely all flocced out and it won't go too much more... Hopefully you won't get as much diacetyl as I did in my brew.

I just wrapped a heating blanket around the carboy and will see if it moves any over the next few days.

I just wrapped a heating blanket around the carboy and will see if it moves any over the next few days.

Fwiw mine still ended up being a good beer. Was just a little slick, with a noticeable (to me at least) buttery-ness.

If yours ends up the same, dry hop it heavily. Hops can mask a lot.

Back