Wyeast 1217-PC West Coast IPA source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny and reassuring that you mention a similar profile to WLP 007, gbarron. I just pitched a 1L starter of the 1217 into an Arrogant Bastard clone yesterday as my LHBS was out of the WLP007, described by Tasty McDole as the best yeast to give that AB character. Doesnt hurt that the strain is rumored to be from Stone either, I was getting worried that the beer might be way off.

So far it looks to have a strong start to fermentation about 18 hours in. It does seems to be somewhat sulfurous for an ale yeast though with all that activity im sure it'll blow off fast.

Cheers

I tapped my keg of APA using this yeast over the weekend. It is good, the yeast is relatively clean, and doesn't leave as much flavor behind as 1272 or 1056 does. It attenuated pretty fully and floccs nicely, leaving a clear beer (well, until I added a ton of dry hops...)

I am very pleased with it, will try it in a big DIPA soon.

I used 2 packs of Wyeast 1217 on a 7 hop IIPA on 11/16 and it went from 1.092 to 1.016. Fermented in cool basement 60-65F. Very pleased with taste while bottling last weekend. I added CBC-1 with priming sugar for a little conditioning insurancance. Hopeful for this batch!

I may have to stock up to do some more testing on my pale ales along with others I use: wlp001, us-05, wy1056, wy1272, wy1968, s-04... I want to also try wlp090 super san diego and Conan if I can ever get my hands on some.

I used this yeast with a Chinook IPA - it turned out well. It fermented strong early on and it sat for two weeks in the primary. Racked it to the secondary, dry hopped it and bottled after ten days. It tastes great. As dry IPA it has a great smooth finish with a slight malty sweetness that balances the bitterness of the hops. Dark orange with a slightly rocky head. OG=1.052 FG=1.01 @ 66F

Anybody else getting STRONG fermentation smells from this yeast?

I have a batch of pale ale going with this right now, and it is producing some of the strongest fermentation odors I have ever experienced... Not necessarily bad smells, slightly sulfuric but not overly, just very strong... The krausen that has made it into my blow off jar smells great though.
I just popped open a smack pack and MAN does is smell sour. Maybe this is normal, but I never noticed this before in other yeasts.

I did not notice and strange smell from this yeast. It produced a nice IPA from what I could tell when I sampled the hydrometer reading.

The odors I was getting were not necessarily strange, just heavier than normal. Once fermentation was complete, all was normal.

As noted earlier, the finished product was clean and neutral. To be honest, almost too neutral for my liking.

I kegged my pale ale the other day that I made using 1217, and the sample I tried tasted great. Fairly simple recipe using Apollo for bittering, Amarillo and Cascade for flavor/aroma; no dry hops were used. I harvested the yeast and got 4+ jars of yeast out of it. If the finished product tastes as good as the sample did, I'll end up using this strain for a long long time.

I can't wait to make an IPA out of this.

5 gallon batch
1.052 OG
1.008 FG
84% attenuation

I just tapped my Whole Hop Columbus IPA that brewed using 1217. It cleared out very well & is nice and clean w/ huge hop flavor & aroma.
I have a Foothills Hoppyum clone in my ferm chamber now w/ 1217. Great activity for about 4 days then it dropped out very clear. I'll give it a little longer in primary then move to secondary for dry hopping w/ Cascade, Centennial, & Simcoe.

I kegged my pale ale the other day that I made using 1217, and the sample I tried tasted great. Fairly simple recipe using Apollo for bittering, Amarillo and Cascade for flavor/aroma; no dry hops were used. I harvested the yeast and got 4+ jars of yeast out of it. If the finished product tastes as good as the sample did, I'll end up using this strain for a long long time.

I can't wait to make an IPA out of this.

5 gallon batch
1.052 OG
1.008 FG
84% attenuation

+1

My first is kegged and drinking beautifully (SN Ruthless Rye Clone). Stone IPA and Arrogant Bastard Clones are in secondary and tasting marvelous.

I've just pitched some slurry into a stout.

On current form this will be the house yeast.

:rockin:

I was so pleased w/ my initial brew w/ this that I'm doing a Foothills Hoppyum clone tomorrow.

I would also really like to try a Foothills Hoppyum clone for my first batch with this yeast. Do you have a good clone recipe?

I picked up two packs, of the Wyeast 1217 West Coast IPA, last Thursday and did up a starter that evening with 1 1/2 cups LDME to 7 cups water. That was placed on a stir plate and I let it go until I pitched it to the cooled wort at 66 degrees. The beer I put this in is a red as follows:
OG 1.072, IBU 79.7, SRM 14.8. Hopped with Eldorado, Amarillo, Mosiac, and dry hopping to be with Centennial and Citra. The beer is still bubbling great this am, Tuesday, but is starting to slow. Looks like a normal fermentation to me and the temperature is maintaining at 68. Hoping for a good beer as made up a 10 gallon batch. I will post the results in a couple of weeks or so.

I saved this yeast from my last batch and now just pitched some of it to a starter. I will be making a wheat iPa with some ingredients I had laying around

+1

My first is kegged and drinking beautifully (SN Ruthless Rye Clone). Stone IPA and Arrogant Bastard Clones are in secondary and tasting marvelous.

I've just pitched some slurry into a stout.

On current form this will be the house yeast.

:rockin:

I scored a few packs of this yeast recently and would like to make a Stone IPA clone. Do you mind if I ask what your recipe was? Would you change anything if you had the opportunity to rebrew?

So Sounds like I might be the only one with this problem, but I pitched this yeast with a 1L starter into just over 5 gal of 1.066 og wort (American IPA with Summit, Galaxy, Citra) and its been just over 1 week the the gravity is only down to 1.028.

Not the most preferable result. Same thing happened with an APA I brewed with this yeast not too long ago. both fermented in 64 - 68 degree ambient temps. I just moved this current batch to a warmer spot (about 70 degree ambient) and hoping that this helps. But if not, I am really not interested in drinking another sweet beer.

I am considering pitching a bag of US - 05 that I have in the fridge if this doesn't continue to ferment after a few more days.

I'd love some input as I have never mixed strains or pitched a 2nd dose of yeast.

Thanks guys,

Finally got around to tapping my pale ale tonight... I am a little disappointed with the final outcome, but it's more of a mash mistake (missed and couldn't hold target temp) than a yeast issue. It tastes a little thin, but again, that's a mash error. Plus, I have struggled with lower gravity beers in the past in preventing it from being too thin.

That being said, the beer tastes really clean, and there are no hints of diaceytl as some have mentioned.

Conclusion: I am really excited to use this yeast in a "real" beer and since this is something I plan to use as a "house" yeast for a while, I'm looking forward to a couple higher gravity/higher IBU brews (AB "clone," IPA/IIPA, pacific amber).

I tapped an IPA i made with this yeast and started drinking it yestarday. Beer is pretty young. Around a month or so. 75 IBU 3 malts 5 hops and around 13 oz of these hops if i remember correctly. It is 8.2%. I pitched the yeast from a previous batches slurry. I don't notice any flavours out of place and if i had the same beer made from safale 05 i would
Not be able to taste the difference. I am
Not that good at this art yet. And i purposely make it taste thin, less 'body', by adding a pound or so of white table sugar. Works well ...mug....

My beer tastes great

Used this yeast for the first time and love it. The BN CYBI Green Flash West Coast IPA from kettle to keg in 10 days, 1.066 to 1.010 with a 2L starter. Lovely dry finish but sweetness that cuts the bitterness nicely. Took off within 6 hours at 22℃ and upped by 1℃ each day up to 25℃. Dry hopped at 4 days, cold crash and gelatin at 7 days. Not sure my STC-1000 thermometer is accurate on the fermentation chamber and susoect it could be reading slightly high. Back to the yeast though it did the job. Didn't flocculate great though in the starter.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Home Brew mobile app

I scored a few packs of this yeast recently and would like to make a Stone IPA clone. Do you mind if I ask what your recipe was? Would you change anything if you had the opportunity to rebrew?

This is my Stone IPA clone straight from Mitch Steele in his IPA book:

94% 2-row
6% Crystal 20L

OG 1.066, 1.013 FG, IBU's 90, 150 degree mash for 60 min

1.5 oz Chinook for 90 min
1 oz Centennial 10 min
1 oz Centennial 5 min
1.5 ozs Centennial DH
1.5 ozs Chinook DH

It is pretty darn indistinguishable.

Also, to follow up on my experience with this yeast. As I stated earlier, it performed really well with my IPA but less so with my DIPA. I got about 77% attenuation on my DIPA despite using a pound corn sugar and mashing very low. But I'm not completely blaming the yeast as I might have let it get too cold towards the end of fermentation. It was also a very hazy beer until I added gelatin. But again, I'm not completely blaming the yeast here because this beer had a huge amount of hops in it; I think that strongly contributed to the haze along with the fact I did not move it to secondary and cold crash as is my normal procedure. It has cleared up nicely after a week or so with the gelatin in the keg.

The DIPA recipe was the Stone Enjoy By clone that is floating around out there. It is right on point. After making this beer with this yeast and tasting it up against the real Enjoy By, I think there is a lot of credence to the assertion that WY1217 is the Stone yeast. I hope Wyeast eventually makes this a year round product as they did with Denny's Favorite.

This is my Stone IPA clone straight from Mitch Steele in his IPA book:

94% 2-row
6% Crystal 20L

OG 1.066, 1.013 FG, IBU's 90, 150 degree mash for 60 min

1.5 oz Chinook for 90 min
1 oz Centennial 10 min
1 oz Centennial 5 min
1.5 ozs Centennial DH
1.5 ozs Chinook DH

It is pretty darn indistinguishable.

Awesome. Thanks. I love this beer, so I will definitely be brewing this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Also brewing a stone IPA clone. Mashing now, 5.5gal batch 14lbs 2 row 1lb C15 excited to see how this yeast reacts.
:mug:

That's gonna be a high OG. Did u make a yeast starter? If you pitch enough of this yeast with that high of an OG your gonna have some seriously violent fermentation.

Awesome. Thanks. I love this beer, so I will definitely be brewing this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

I got around to brewing this. Just finished primary and hydro sample smelled and tasted amazing. Very similar to Stone IPA in my opinion. This yeast is awesome. I'll be definitely saving the slurry for future batches.

I'm pretty happy with it. Made several batches with it. Banked the yeast. I just tried WLP001 for the first time. Looking forward to comparing. Found fermentation was vigorous with both.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's gonna be a high OG. Did u make a yeast starter? If you pitch enough of this yeast with that high of an OG your gonna have some seriously violent fermentation.

Yea made a big starter 2L, fermentation was pretty strong. Just dry hopped with 2oz of centennial this beer smells great really excited to see how it is when it's done. All my kegs are full so I think I may have to bottle this but we'll have to see in a few days. Will update with tasting notes. :mug:

Yea made a big starter 2L, fermentation was pretty strong. Just dry hopped with 2oz of centennial this beer smells great really excited to see how it is when it's done. All my kegs are full so I think I may have to bottle this but we'll have to see in a few days. Will update with tasting notes. :mug:

Nice. Centennial is one of my go to dry hops. What grain did you use?

30 minutes to go in the boil of my 1st attempt at an AB "clone" using this yeast - yes, I know it's not English and it will attenuate more than WLP007 or 002, but that's not the goal of this brew.

I am excited!

I used this seasonal yeast, Wyeast 1217 West Coast Ale, in the brew I did on Jan 4, 2014. It put it in a red ale. OG = 1.071, FG = 1.018, IBU = 79.7, SRM = 14.8. Mashed at 152. I did a starter consisting of 1 1/2 cups LDME to 7 cups water. Cooled to 70 and pitched my expanded and warmed packages of yeast. I did 2 starters, one for each 5er. This was done the day before and had 24 hours on the stir plate. Fermentation went well. Temp was maintained at 68 degrees during fermentation. On 1/7/14 the bubbling in the airlock had slowed. On 1/11/14 I racked to a secondary fermentation vessel and dryhopped the beer. I kegged it on 1/17/14. Went out of town for 10 days with the beer under 10 psi of CO2. When I came back I immediately tapped it. This is a excellent beer. The flavor is outstanding and the yeast performed really well. Everyone who has tried this beer loves it and says the yeast is a great attribute. This beer incorporates Eldorado hops for the bittering with amarillo and mosiac also added to the boil. It is dryhopped with a ounce each, per 5er, of centennial and citra. I will leave the grain bill and the amounts up to you all to contemplate. I recommend this yeast and hope that Wyeast will move it from a seasonal to a regular on the shelf.

Hey Garrett.

Did anyone hate the beer? The only reason i ask is because of the dry hop citra addition. I made an IPA with this yeast and dry hopped with a little citra. People liked it. I did not due to the flavour from the citra. I would call the flavor spicy B.O. But I believe others call it catty or cat piss.

Nice. Centennial is one of my go to dry hops. What grain did you use?

Grain bill was 14lbs & 1lbs C15.

Just tapped this beer and I love it. Almost indiscernible to a real Stone Ruination, this is one of the best beers I've made and I got a few BOS medals.... Great yeast glad I banked it. Keep everything simple and treat this yeast and you will be happy. :mug:

After hearing about the possible Stone yeast I tried a clone of Stone's 15th Anniversary Ale, an Imperial Black IPA. I have to say this yeast made a great Black IPA giving the beer a big tan aroma head, very malty, wow. One of my best beers to date. Scored a 43 from a national BJCP judge last week.

So pleased I wrote Wyeast and asked to make this year round. I have one more smack pack I may try to salvage this strain and make one more batch and harvest the yeast to use later this year.

I have not heard a single negative report on the beer or the dry hopping with Citra. I used fresh pellets for the dry hopping. Big grapefruit flavor. Everyone has different tastes, for sure.

I just racked a hoppy wheat I used 1217 on. I thought it performed very well. 1047-1012 in 4 days. I pitched a 1l starter from a smack pack dated early October. Beer appeared very clean out of primary. 5 got kegged, 5 to secondary for dry hopping. I will update with carbed tasting notes tonight.

Back