wyeast 1214

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
So I was planning on making a belgian dubbel tomorrow and I made a 2L starter yesterday afternoon using wyeast 1214. I didnt have time to let the smack pack swell so I smacked it and pitched it in my flask after about an hour. It has been about 30 hours and I don't see anything happeneing. I use femcap in my starters so I can boil right in my flask, I know this can make it look like nothing is going on but I always see a few bubbles around the edge. I did a search and it says this yeast can be slow to start just looking for some feedback on this.

I had the same thing happen to me with Wyeast West Yorkshire. It didn't look like anything was going on except I did have some foaming after swirling (I don't use a stirplate) which is a good sign.

Anyway, thought it was dead, pitched it anyway, the next day...bubbling like crazy. I'd give her a go!

Give it some time. I did a Belgian Dubbel with it. It took over 48 hours to kick off... It is a slow starter. Needless to say I was freaking out the whole time...

It was showing signs of life this morning and now it is going strong. I guess this yeast is just slow to get going.

Back