Wyeast 1214 temperature changes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oiban

Reaction score
Hello to everyone!

I recently brewed a Belgian blonde ale (O.G 1.065) using a Wyeast 1214, pitched a starter at 65F and for the next 2 days it fermented very actively. Rising to 70F some times, I did my best to keep it cool and within 68 F.

After the first 2 days active fermentation was done, took a gravity readin and I had 1.016 (expected FG) and the temperature of the fermenter fell to 65. Should I try to rise the temp?

I've been reading about Belgian yeasts recently and most people seems to agree I should try to let it finish at higher temps 75 or even more. Am I too late? Most people says "let it rise" but this one isn't rising by itslef, seems to be pretty happy at 65.

Should I just let it sit at 65 68 for 3 more weeks or so? or should I rise room temp to 72 or even 75 for the next few weeks for it to attenuate better?

Another thing I'm wondering is how much can this temp fluctuation I had at the start, from 65 to 70 and then back down, affect my beer?

First Belgian ale, not sure what to do, never had an active fermentation that fast or vigorous before.

Thanks in advance to all!

I just pitch this yeast aswell. Thats a great question. It's in its third day I kept it at 68 for the first three days. I did not know I needed to raise the temp on it. I look forward to some answers.

Yeap, I don't know if you "have" to, but that's what I read in some posts and articles around the web. What I'm wondering is if it's gonna make any difference to rise the temp after active fermentation is done. What temp are you planing to keep your beer after it´s done with primary fermentation?

Cheers!

That is the Chimay yeast. I'd start that around 68 and then start ramping the temperature up to about 80 over the space of 5 days (about 2 degrees a day).

To the OP, yes, still raise the temperature, it will work as a diectyl rest and help the yeast finish.

The high temps will only develop more clove and banana flavored esters. Fermenting at a lower temp isn't bad for your yeast you just wont get the ester levels that you would if you fermented at say 72+. If you can raise the temps I would but I wouldn't worry about your temp fluctuations your beer will turn out just fine.

Hey!

Thanks for the replies! I´m gonna follow your advise and slowly rise the temps over the next days. I´ll keep it in primary for 3 more weeks and bottle then. 1 month in primary should be enough for this strain?

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies! I´m gonna follow your advise and slowly rise the temps over the next days. I´ll keep it in primary for 3 more weeks and bottle then. 1 month in primary should be enough for this strain?
a month should be good.

once you start raising the temps, don't cool down until you believe fermentation is complete. belgian yeast are pretty quick to go dormant and flocculate as soon as temps start to fall.

I agree with the previous poster. The chimay strain is well known for giving up if it cools down. Bring it up into the mid seventies and let it sit for a week, it's too late to be producing more esters if your gravity is that low.

a month should be good.

once you start raising the temps, don't cool down until you believe fermentation is complete. belgian yeast are pretty quick to go dormant and flocculate as soon as temps start to fall.

Hey! thanks! how much cooling can put Belagian yeast to go dormant in your experience? I mean, how many degrees and how fast would the temperature have to fall for the yeast to go dormant?

I don't have a good temperature control system, I basically open windows or turn the heating on depending on what I want. So while I´m at work, there are good chances that the temperatures fall about 4 or 5 F (in the room), would that temp change put the yeast to sleep?

thanks for the answers!

I agree with the previous poster. The chimay strain is well known for giving up if it cools down. Bring it up into the mid seventies and let it sit for a week, it's too late to be producing more esters if your gravity is that low.

Hey! I have it siting at 74 atm I wraped it in blankets to try keep the temp.

When the active fermentation slowed down the temps droped to aroud 68-66 F is it posible that the yeast went dormant then? And if it did, would I have enough active yeast to carbonate still?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey! I have it siting at 74 atm I wraped it in blankets to try keep the temp.

When the active fermentation slowed down the temps droped to aroud 68-66 F is it posible that the yeast went dormant then? And if it did, would I have enough active yeast to carbonate still?

blankets will only keep in whatever heat is produced internally. when the yeast slow down and start producing less heat is exactly when you want to add heat, to make sure they don't slow down.

if you're at 74 at high krausen and then drop to 68 afterwards, i would be concerned that this would cause the yeast to drop out precisely when you don't want them too. get a brew belt, or ferm-wrap, or heating blanket, of but the carboy in front of a heater or air duct, etc.

don't worry about carbonation, the yeast will reactivate in the presence of sugar and warm temps.

blankets will only keep in whatever heat is produced internally. when the yeast slow down and start producing less heat is exactly when you want to add heat, to make sure they don't slow down.

if you're at 74 at high krausen and then drop to 68 afterwards, i would be concerned that this would cause the yeast to drop out precisely when you don't want them too. get a brew belt, or ferm-wrap, or heating blanket, of but the carboy in front of a heater or air duct, etc.

don't worry about carbonation, the yeast will reactivate in the presence of sugar and warm temps.

Hey thanksfor the answer!

If the yeast did drop out, will rising the temps awake it? Gravity reading is expected FG, so I guess tere isnt too mu sugar left for them.

Cheers!

raising temps, then *gently* swirling the carboy/bucket to rouse the yeast, should get them going again. but if you've hit your expected FG that might not be anything left to eat. up to you if yu want to see if there is another point or two to munch on. "expected FG" is an estimate, it's not written in stone.

I'll give that a shot!

On an ideal situation, would the yeast drop out after they hit FG, regardless of temp changes? Diacetyl rest and yeast cells "cleaning up" is suposed to happen with most of them still being active?

Thanks for the answers!

On an ideal situation, would the yeast drop out after they hit FG, regardless of temp changes? Diacetyl rest and yeast cells "cleaning up" is suposed to happen with most of them still being active?

yes, yeast will eventually drop out once all digestible sugars are consumed... sorta. you can do things to keep the yeast active - like add heat, swirl them back into suspension, etc - to extend how long they stick around and scrounge those last few sugar molecules. for example, a certain wort fermented at 65*F might end at 1.015. take a second carboy with the exact same wort and yeast (type and amount), ferment at 75*F and swirl towards the end, and you might hit 1.013. that doesn't mean that the 1.013 beer will taste better, perhaps 75*F is too warm for that yeast and leads to off-flavors.

different yeasts drop out at different rates. some yeasts flocculate really quickly, others seem to take forever. so the strain of yeast you use will greatly affect how quickly the beer clears.

Yesterday, I brewed Northern Brewers' La Petite Orange Belgian dubbel, which uses Wyeast 1214. Right now, I have it at 65 degrees -- do I start ramping the temperature up immediately, or do I wait until I see fermentation activity?

Latest posts

Back