Wyeast 1214 - Slow??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaboagbrewing

Reaction score
Brewing a Dubbel tomorrow so decided to get my starter going last night. Had a smack pack of 1214 sitting in my fridge for past 5 months figured I'd use up. I pitched this into a 1500ml starter last night and it's been on the stir plate for 12 hours but no signs of life. Should I expect this will take longer to start showing activity or can I start to assume that the yeast is no longer viable? I have a pack of dry yeast available for tomorrow if necessary (Safbrew Abbaye Dry Brewing Yeast) but really wanted to use the 1214 on this batch. I know that belgian yeasts can be slow to get going so just not sure when I should bail on the starter.

1214 is notorious for being a slow starter. That combined with the pack being older will make it really slow.

If you are brewing tomorrow, about 36 hours after making the starter, you should be most likely OK. I usually do a starter about 18 hours ahead of time, but have had 1214 take longer to show signs of life, so now I always give that yeast a little longer to get going.

If still no clear signs tomorrow morning will probably pitch the 1214 along with the safbrew Belgian abbaye yeast. That way at least I'm covered. Curious to see how these 2 yeast strains work together as well.

Back