Wyeast 1214 or 3787

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenGoatee

Reaction score
Planning a Belgian Dubbel for my next brew day and wondered if anyone has used both of these strains, and could recommend one over the other. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks

WY1214 is Chimay's strain, and WY3787 is Westmalle's strain. You could go grab the dubbel of both producers to compare the two; they are readily available almost everywhere. Chimay, for me, is extremely fruity, while Westmalle is much more balanced between fruitiness and spicy phenols. I prefer Westmalle's flavor profile between the two, and very rarely use Chimay in general. But if you like a fruitier Belgian beer (I think Chimay has a distinct candy-like flavor), maybe that's the one you want.

WY1214 is Chimay's strain, and WY3787 is Westmalle's strain. You could go grab the dubbel of both producers to compare the two; they are readily available almost everywhere. Chimay, for me, is extremely fruity, while Westmalle is much more balanced between fruitiness and spicy phenols. I prefer Westmalle's flavor profile between the two, and very rarely use Chimay in general. But if you like a fruitier Belgian beer (I think Chimay has a distinct candy-like flavor), maybe that's the one you want.

This is pretty much my experience also. I like the fruity flavor of 1214, but sometimes it is too much. 3787 is a great yeast and one of my favorites. If it was my brew I would choose the 3787 for a dubbel.

Back