Wyeast 1056 - DIPA Fermentation Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick sekerak

Reaction score
Folks,

I have been reading through some peoples fermentation temp schedules for ales and wanted to get some in depth suggestions for my brew i am making this weekend for the first time. I have a brand new DIY temp controlled FV that i just build, it can heat & chill. So i am game for suggestions. I am making a DIPA @ 9.5%abv with 1056 Wyeast and a single dry hop. Target OG 1092 & Target FG 1022

Here is the basic outline i need to tweek:

Day 1-Chill wort to 64*(or as close to 60 as i can get) oxygenate for 5 min, pitch yeast. Set FV to 61*F. Hit with 2 minutes of oxygen 12 hours after pitch.

Day 3-5 Krausen drops then begin to rise temps. Increase by one degree every 12 hours until 71*F is met. In other threads does this mean when there is basically no visibale krausen left of just the thin 1/4 inch thick layer that kinda lingers when only a few gravity points are left????

Once at 71*F rest one week

Dry hop for 3 days - I this the best time to DH after the dice. rest?

Cold crash to 40*F for two days

Keg :)

Cheers - Any help would be greatly appreciated

I get off flavors from that yeast below 64*,I just don't use it. I have Pacman, BRY-97,and Notty in my yeast bank,those, all are great at that ferment schedule and way more flocculant. I dry hop during the diacetal rest. Google hop creep.

Thanks for the heads up, i am going to change the white labs WL001. I dont have access to any of the yeast you suggested.

Denny’s (1056) really doesn’t produce much in the way of esters in my opinion. It’s pretty neutral which is actually a solid for double ipa if you’re looking for some malt flavor and sweetness to come through. However it’s not one where driving temps really changes the profile in a good way.

If your looking for a juicy New England style double, then use a different yeast. I really like A24 dryhop from imperial. Also their juice is solid too. Both can be driven for bigger ester production. Juice just needs to be kept no hotter than 74. Over that it tends to throw some fusel flavors

Denny’s (1056) really doesn’t produce much in the way of esters in my opinion. It’s pretty neutral which is actually a solid for double ipa if you’re looking for some malt flavor and sweetness to come through. However it’s not one where driving temps really changes the profile in a good way.

If your looking for a juicy New England style double, then use a different yeast. I really like A24 dryhop from imperial. Also their juice is solid too. Both can be driven for bigger ester production. Juice just needs to be kept no hotter than 74. Over that it tends to throw some fusel flavors
Denny's Fave is actually 1450... Just saying

1056 is cleaner at 70 than it is at 61. With that high an OG however I’d start it at 66 and ramp it to 70 on day 3.

Haha youre right, thanks brother. One of those days. Well @nick sekerak you can disregard what I said about since I got my number confused. But if you ever use Denny's, look back to this lol
I knew that because I brewed an American brown ale two weeks ago and used 1450 for the very first time. I plan on using it again this month on an amber ale.

Ok good i really wanted to try the 1056 on this big beer anyways. You got me convinced.

Dgallo your fermentation temp advice is solid in my book. I took what you recommended for my NEPIA's an it was the best brew i have made to-date. And i have made about 20 batches prior.

I am still wondering when the best time to drive my temp up to the 70's. I have heard wait till krausen is dropping or a few points before OG. they are almost the same thing in my eyes. I am predicting this brew will have an OG of 1020, so maybe drive the temps up when a SG 1028-1030 is met. Does that sound close to what you guys are doing?

Also what is a better method to drive the temp to the 70's? Step the temp up one or two degrees a day or just all at at once? I have heard both methods used. Or does it even matter.

Ok good i really wanted to try the 1056 on this big beer anyways. You got me convinced.

Dgallo your fermentation temp advice is solid in my book. I took what you recommended for my NEPIA's an it was the best brew i have made to-date. And i have made about 20 batches prior.

I am still wondering when the best time to drive my temp up to the 70's. I have heard wait till krausen is dropping or a few points before OG. they are almost the same thing in my eyes. I am predicting this brew will have an OG of 1020, so maybe drive the temps up when a SG 1028-1030 is met. Does that sound close to what you guys are doing?

Also what is a better method to drive the temp to the 70's? Step the temp up one or two degrees a day or just all at at once? I have heard both methods used. Or does it even matter.
The temp drive I’m typically am talking about is for 1318, Burlington Ale, Imperial Dryhop, or any other Conan variation yeast strain. Imperial juice I’ll use the same drive but not let it get over 74 because over it I’ll get fusel.

Now when I chose to bump it up to the highest temps during my ferm, 74-76, I do it by sight, I wait until high krausen or the most active point. I’ve used these strains so many times now that I can just tell what that looks like. But it’s typically when it’s churning rapidly and the bubbles are pouring staight up all around.

Back