WY3787 Dry sub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite Trappist style strain is likely WLP530 (the White Labs 'equivalent' of WY3787, 'Westmalle', though I do think I like the flavors from WLP530 more). I have started using Lallemand Abbaye and I think I like it. I made a Blond a while back, and have recently made a Dubbel, Tripel and Single with Abbaye. I think it pushes a little more cherry notes and is a little closer to what I experienced in the two batches I made with WLP500 ('Chimay').

I still have more dry yeasts on my list to try. I made a very nice Tripel with M31. I was not that crazy about a Blond I made with WB-06 (too much apple and tartness) and a recent Blond-ish with M41 was not a favorite (not well balanced yeast flavors, but seems to have improved after several months). Recipe and fermentation temps can have a big impact, so my duds could have been on me.

For now, I have been pretty happy with Lallemand Abbaye fermented at around 74F.

Latest posts

Back