WTF? Is this yeast ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzien

Reaction score
This is whitelabs Belgian Wit. Threw it in the starter (1 cup DME and 1/4 tsp nutrients). This is 3 days later at 65 degrees F. Any ideas if this is still good?

20150311_143814.jpg

I'd be concerned. It's defying gravity.

Does it smell good? If so, I'd not be concerned.

Edit: Actually, the yeast and crud adhering to the side of the flask below the surface would concern me more than what I see at the top. The crud on the sides suggests to me the flask might not have been clean.

It smells great; a little alcohol, some orange...

Used starsan in everything... boiled the water...

How was the flask *cleaned* prior to sanitization? If there was any residue left on the inside of the flask, the starsan doesn't mean squat. Starsan is a sanitizer, not a cleaner, and that flask looks like it was not cleaned properly, prior to sanitization.

I've never seen anything gunk up like that on the sides in a starter.

I rinsed well, used a brush, then swirled some dishwasher soap water for a day.

I think I'm gonna trash this and start over. Hopefully it will be ready for Sunday.

It's the hand prints of the yeast trying to get out into a larger wort...

Yeah I haven't seen that before. I wouldn't trust it personally...

not sure about anyone else, but dish soap doesn't touch any of my brewing stuff. too much chance of residue. i use only PBW and starsan and occasionally weak bleach solution.

I usually clean with oxyclean, but at the time i was in an unusually deep inebriated state and just used dishwasher detergent. I'm going to pitch it. Found a saison II strain I'm gonna try. Plus it gave me a reason to go to Quirkys, my LHBS.

Back