• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Simple Glass Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmendo2005

Reaction score
Hey guys what would you generally consider a decent price for a case of bottles, simple glass pop top ones? Don't want to stiff a fellow brewer but would hate to overpay for some.

For a case of 24, maybe 5 bucks. That's more than the deposit (if any) is worth. I've got a box full, about 65 bottles including 3-4 bombers, that I've got on CL for $20, and they're all clean and de-labeled.

Put an ad in the wanted section on CL, you'll probably get some hits. Let them make an offer, then talk them down. :)

FREE.

I never understood why anyone would buy them. I gave away about 16 cases when I switched to kegging and was happy just to get them out of my house.

Try going to a nice bar and seeing if you can get empties

I bought 10 cases (240) off of CL for $20....

I want some clear bottles now for my skeeter pee...was thinking of asking a mexican restaurant to save me their bottles.... Not sure if they would but couldn't hurt to ask

OT: is corona crown tops?

Unfortunately Mosquito I can't find anyone like you up here in NY =\

Just saw this post and noticed you are from Albany. While I keg, I often bottle from the keg (to give to friends or to free up a keg when it is getting light and I have more batches waiting). Anyway, I was running low on bottles and happened to be in Oliver's beverage to get some CO2, and they were quite happy to sell me (returned) bottles for the price of the deposit (.05/each).

Also, I don't know if you are doing extract or all grain, but I've been participating in the Syracuse area grain group buys - a great way to get grain at very good prices. Here's the link to the next group buy (scheduled for this summer as we just completed one): https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/syracuse-ny-round-7-group-grain-buy-304164/, and the link for the completed one (you can get an idea of what people buy): https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/syracuse-ny-round-6-group-grain-buy-279676/ We did 4 full pallets of grains! (166 sacks + some chemicals). You might want to participate in it, or if we can get enough people together we might be able to do one locally.

Huh Oliver's? I'll have to check that out thanks. I'm still extract cant comprehend what I need for all grain still only done about 4 or 5 5 gallon brews. But thanks I'll get in on the cuse group buy eventually!

Huh Oliver's? I'll have to check that out thanks. I'm still extract cant comprehend what I need for all grain still only done about 4 or 5 5 gallon brews. But thanks I'll get in on the cuse group buy eventually!

Yep. Free is best (ask your friends to save bottles for you). .05/each is next best.

A couple of more tips: You can get oxiclean (free) at the dollar store for, get this, $1. It's great for really cleaning the bottles and for getting the labels off. I rinse the bottles, then put a couple scoops of the oxiclean ($ store variety) in a big bucket with the hottest water I can stand to put my hands in. Put the bottles in there and let let soak overnight. The next day the labels are literally sliding off the bottles. I then rinse them a few times, and then soak them in a Star San bucket for a few minutes. They are then ready to go for beer. (Since I keg and then bottle, I actually then put them in the freezer as it makes the transfer have less foam.)

All grain is actually pretty easy. Bad analogy, but sort of baking a cake from scratch vs. buying a mix. The easiest way (works for me at least), is to use a modified BIAB method, for instance see this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/. I actually use a modified version of this where I do my mash on the stove-top (using a bag), and then do the batch sparge and boil outside using propane. This lets me do 5 gallon (+) batches.

+1 for going to Oliver's for returns. They have a good selection just check the dates on their beer, sometimes they are old. Definitely do the oxyclean soak, those labels will come right off no problem - it takes about an hour in real hot water.
Copy they sell CO2 there too? I get my 10 lb filled at cabonics for around 12 bucks.

+1 for going to Oliver's for returns. They have a good selection just check the dates on their beer, sometimes they are old. Definitely do the oxyclean soak, those labels will come right off no problem - it takes about an hour in real hot water.
Copy they sell CO2 there too? I get my 10 lb filled at cabonics for around 12 bucks.

Yes, $2.50 per pound. They weigh it before and after. OK for my supposedly 4# and 5# tanks (which take about 3# and 4# respectively), but expensive for my 10# tank. I haven't been to Carbonic's, but have heard about them. Would you happen to know their hours?

re: out of date. Yes, they have a good selection but you have to watch out for stuff that's been sitting around for a long time. On the other hand, I just picked up the last six pack (on the shelf) of the latest SN Big Foot.

Latest posts

Back