Wow! MoreBeer Viking Pale Malt $25 55lb sack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
This is interesting: https://www.vikingmalt.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Sourcing-News-Letter-May-2019.pdf

Also, holy crap Morebeer.com is putting up a TON of information about Viking Malt now. Seems like they have their ear to the ground. Good on them.

Look at the analysis sheets: https://www.morebeer.com/products/viking-2row-pale-ale-malt.html

Yeah they have always had that up i think.
Morebeer rocks really (see morebeer thread under comapny reviews).
I am not a shill for them at all but when i first started my kegerator journey i would go to their concord showroom- everyone was so helpful.
I do blane them for getting me into brewing- i would.read their catalogues cover to cover for years before i made the jump.
I just think Viking did not move as fast as they wanted it to. Although i did get some pilsner malt i am excited to use.

I'm a grain farmer. Cluelessness in this thread much there is. :rolleyes:

Here is a pretty good primer on malting barley from the American Malting Barley Association.

At the end of the linked article, note the map which shows the states which grow most of the malting barley. Those aren't corn growing states. Corn subsidies? What the actual F? A lot malt barley is produced in southern Canada, right across the fence from the northern US barley producing states. The highest quality malt varieties tend to be produced in areas with a cooler, drier growing season, as opposed to the warmer, wetter conditions typical of the Corn Belt.

Some maltsters contract with growers to produce barley for that particular maltster. Some growers produce malting barley to sell into the open market, to any of a number of grain merchandising companies, which buy from producers and sell to exporters or domestic end users. The BMC brewers contract with growers to produce specific, often proprietary, varieties for the exclusive use of that company (here in Montana both MillerCoors and AB/InBev source much of their barley from growers along the east slopes of the Rocky Mountains, a region particularly well suited to malt production).

Malting barley is truly a specialty crop in comparison to the more widely grown crops such as corn, soybeans, or wheat. It's a more risky crop to grow because the quality standards are quite high and are affected by conditions beyond the grower's control. One rain shower just before harvest can create water stains on the kernels. If the grain is no longer pale, and was contracted for sale as pale, 2-row barley, the crop won't be accepted by the maltster. This results in grain which is suitable for livestock feed, but the price of feed barley is, currently, about half the price of malting barley, which isn't high enough to persuade me, and a lot of other producers, to grow it in the first place.

For some perspective-base malts can be bought, in bulk, from most of the usual online suspects for around $0.80/lb. The current price of malt barley, in Northern Montana, is about $0.08/lb. That’s a 10X markup from the farmer to the retailer. Of course, there's a lot of transportation costs at both end of the chain plus processing and packaging and two, or three, or four intermediaries (merchandiser, maltster, distributor and retailer) between the farmer and the brewhouse.

WRT the joys of growing malt, here’s another interesting factoid. Last year, AB/InBev cut the number of acres contracted in Montana by 25%. This year, the company is promoting the rice its beer. Coincidence? Yeah, must be.
Good information. I think you make a good point. I don't think I am wrong about subsidies encouraging the ultra-specialization of certain crops both regionally as well as by country. Is that somehow wrong? It seems compatible with what you've said. My mistake was trying to quickly find a simple answer to a very complicated question.

The primer on malting is great! Thanks! I almost didn't read it after I saw the word "clueless", but I am glad I did.

Cheers!

Last edited:
You would think people would be all over these Viking malts. A full 40% cheaper than other European malts and about 20% cheaper than North American. I have to believe they are "healthier" in the sense of less chemicals used and the stronger regulatory environment in Europe.

"The advantage of northern European malt is lower protein levels, good kernel size, and less amount of pesticides used due to the cold winters."

It is a new thing, and people are reasonably skeptical. I was excited to try them because I like to try different malts, but I can understand not wanting to take a chance on a batch of beer.

If shipping ends up being too much on the free sack deal, another way to do this is to get 10 x 10 lb sacks of unmilled Viking 2 Row. That ends up being $39.95 for 50 lbs and is eligible for free shipping with a $59 order... http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2019/0...-2-row-pale-ale-malt-39-95-free-shipping.html

I think you mean 5 x 10lb, not 10.

I actually did exactly this. 55lb sack shipped to me would have been ~$45 with this sale. 50lb in separate 10lb bags + 2 x 10lb bags of white wheat got me just over the $59 free shipping

Hey all.
So... more beer had their in showroom sale this weekend, so i grabbed a 55# ack of the Viking pale ale for $21.25 out the door.
I just re-read this thread... wondering if anyone else has any updates on this malt?

It looks like maybe it will be a little darker and a touch maltier than a Rahr 2-row.

Looking for a basic smash type beer with this malt- just want a crisp base for the hops to shine.
I am thinking about a lower mash (152) and upping the hops by say 10%?

Thoughts? Thanks all!!

Hey all.
So... more beer had their in showroom sale this weekend, so i grabbed a 55# ack of the Viking pale ale for $21.25 out the door.
I just re-read this thread... wondering if anyone else has any updates on this malt?

It looks like maybe it will be a little darker and a touch maltier than a Rahr 2-row.

Looking for a basic smash type beer with this malt- just want a crisp base for the hops to shine.

Thoughts? Thanks all!!

I brewed a new pale ale recipe using that malt and it came out pretty tasty. My next batch will be with another brand so I can compare side by side. Price is right. [emoji482]

i've noticed using viking, that my bucket i use as a hopper has a lot of rootlets left in it....worse cleaning then my homemalt, might be why it comes out darker...if you have a box fan and a couple buckets might try blowing it off in front of it....

Hey all.

Thoughts? Thanks all!!
Sale still going on? I could drive there today...

I’d no longer works on the website as of yesterday.

No sorry that sale was in showroom only for a weekend. They do that like 4 times a year.

For thru 11/21 take 15% off most everything with BC15 . That might help.

Note- if you drive to a showroom they probably still have viking pale for $25 a sack. Call and ask.

No sorry that sale was in showroom only for a weekend. They do that like 4 times a year.

In showroom only? Huh? The OP of this thread said he got a sack SHIPPED, so have many other people who responded to the thread-sure seems like it was an online code from that.

Hey all.

Thoughts? Thanks all!!

@LokiM4 yes back on 06/06/19 the op was about shipping. It was on sale.
I re-posted here early November about their in-shiw room sales.

Here is the trick with morebeer- the 10# sacks qualify for free shipping! So you could order the Viking Pale Malt (7.99) for 15% off (6.79 for 10#)... so you could get 50# shipped for $34. Really a good deal still.
You just have to order $59 or more for free ground ship.
You can alsomix n match 10# bags etc. Etc

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191119-153607_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191119-153607_Chrome.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 49
Back