Would you substitute White Labs California Ale yeast for these other two yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockout

Reaction score
PART 1 - An Stone Ruination IPA clone recipe I'm looking at calls for WLP002 (English Ale) yeast. I just brewed an IPA and I washed the yeast today, so I have 4 Ball jars full of WLP001, their California ale yeast. I'm not that concerned about replicating the EXACT flavor of the Ruination; in fact, I'd rather just make something different but similar as an experiment. Any problems with going with the WLP001 in my fridge?

PART 2 - The second clone recipe is the Dogfish Head 90 Minute clone, and that one calls for White Labs British Ale (WLP005) yeast. Again, don't care if I get an exact clone, so can I use my California Ale yeast and still get a good beer by following the rest of the recipe?

Thanks.

It will make good beer. Not exact clone but good. Wlp001 is the most versatile fool proof yeast I know. It can't really mess up a beer, except a Belgian or a lager maybe.

The 001 will run a bit drier than either yeast, especially than the 002, and obviously won't impart the English character those strains can, though I think both breweries ferment cool to get a clean tasting beer anyway. Should be fine, just a little different. Using WLP001 in an IPA is hardly scandalous.

I would say yes on both. Those beers are much more about the hops, and AFAIK Stone uses something closer to 007 in Ruination. Make sure you mash pretty high, because Cal Ale is a rip-snortin' attenuator, especially if it's a big fresh repitch! Expect blowoff....

ehhh, sorry for my ignorance, I've only been doing all-grain for about 4 months - what's "mash pretty high" mean?

ahhh, at a higher temp. silly me. thank you. I usually just go with whatever temp the recipe instructions say.

I would definitely not mash an IPA that high. You want it nice and dry. Ruination probably starts up above 1.070, so mash in the 149 to 150 range.

And the earlier post is correct. Stone uses WLP007 which attenuates in the same ballpark as 001, so you should be fine.

I don't know why Stone says they use 002. There is no way any of those beers they make are with 002.

It will make good beer. Not exact clone but good. Wlp001 is the most versatile fool proof yeast I know. It can't really mess up a beer, except a Belgian or a lager maybe.

Or a hefe/dunkel/kristal weizen/weizenbock, french Saison/Bierre de Garde, American Wild, Kolsch, Alt....

WLP001 is a fine yeast, but there's no such thing as a "one size fits all" yeast. Every decent yeast is going to be a poor choice for 75% or more of beers.

Or a hefe/dunkel/kristal weizen/weizenbock, french Saison/Bierre de Garde, American Wild, Kolsch, Alt....

WLP001 is a fine yeast, but there's no such thing as a "one size fits all" yeast. Every decent yeast is going to be a poor choice for 75% or more of beers.

I couldn't agree more. I never said it was one size fits all. The op wants to make a beer that cal ale will work well with. Simple.

I would definitely not mash an IPA that high. You want it nice and dry. Ruination probably starts up above 1.070, so mash in the 149 to 150 range.

And the earlier post is correct. Stone uses WLP007 which attenuates in the same ballpark as 001, so you should be fine.

I don't know why Stone says they use 002. There is no way any of those beers they make are with 002.

Lagunitas mashes at 160 and uses WLP002 in their IPAs, just for the record- Stone does use the 007, but higher mash temps in an IPA are not unheard of either.
It's all about the balance, and if you're going to use a more attenuative yeast that lets more hop flavor through, like the 001 instead of the 005, a higher mash temp can help get a bit of body and maltiness into the beer that might have been lost in the exchange. None of these beers is terribly dry- all have a nice malty sweetness that is in balance with the huge hopload.

Agreed. California ale yeasts ferment drier, with different byproducts (read: British ale yeasts produce fruity esters).

Back