Would this 2-vessel system work as LODO?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavis740

Reaction score
Would this work?? Trying come up with a 2-vessel system for BIAB / LODO (Low oxegon brewing).

Two vessel system. 20-gallon pot for a mash tun (MT) and 15-gallon Hot liqour tank/boil kettle (BK).

Heat liquor in the BK and pump it out the spigot of BK, and into spigot of MT and “underlet” the liquour under the grist in the MT.

(The grist is in a bag, in a basket, in the MT)

Stir very gently to ensure no doughballs, then mash. (Temp control probe , elec element, and controller in MT to maintain or step up mash temps). Allow to mash, without any recirculation. Then slowly pump back into BK; while simultaneously, very slowly lifting basket in order to drain grist but avoid 02 pickup.

Boil gently (per LODO practices), then chill wort as I pump it to the fermenter(s). Chill further when its in fermenter, if needed.

Hoping to be able to yield 10 gallons of beer with this. Trying to minimize work, cleaning while being able to do the LODO methodology.

...and if you did do this setup; would a whirlpool port / whirlpooling ever be helpful??

I used to WP in my last system (batch sparge into 10-gallon boil kettle) and it was good for coning up sediment prior to racking to fermenter.
i would imagine most of the would-be boil kettle sediment will remain in the mash tun pot, alleviating the need to WP it away from the BK exit port

Sorry no one has answered your questions but since the topic usually results in an argument, most of the LODO adherents have left the building.

Sorry no one has answered your questions but since the topic usually results in an argument, most of the LODO adherents have left the building.
I must disagree!!
I still see some posters here.
You, sir... are simply wrong!
(Sorry, i could resist! I tend to stay away from this entire section... although i know if i keep brewing (i'm only two years in) i will end up here, as my palate is moving towards lagers, lagers, and more lagers.

Again my apolgies

Latest posts

Back