Worth getting dryer fixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shetc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All,

I moved into a new home a few months ago. The previous owner left behind a dryer and washer. The dryer has a very annoying thumping noise. I've had the thing apart and can't see any issues with the belt and rollers. The drum appears to be round with no obvious bumps. Is it worth paying a technician to look at it as well? Or just go get a new machine?

Thanks,
Steve

Does it work okay except for the noise? Do you have $650 to spend on a new one? I would take the back or side off and spin it by hand. I've had mine apart to fix something, but it was >20 years ago so I don't remember what; I think it was knocking and squeaking. Probably a belt or an idler pulley (mine not yours, but that's where I would look first)

Probably not worth calling a technician for a house call. Good luck.

One of the balancing springs/counterweights may be loose? A worn bearing?
How many years old do you estimate it is?

We bought a new (LG) washer and dryer when we moved in here 12 years ago. They're both huge and wonderful! I'm still perplexed how lean they are with water and even electricity.
I doubt we run them even once a week, on average, but wouldn't want to live without either.

Take note of the timing of the noise. Is it regular? How often does it thump? Does it correspond with the drum speed? Might help take off the back and watch it operate, watch the belt, watch the idler pulley, see if something jumps or slips.
Sometimes these deals are "touchy, feely, see" kind of things. Might be a lint ball that makes the belt "hop" on the pulleys.
If it's any consolation, I can't hear it from where I'm sitting (LOL).
Happy hunting, :mug:
Joel B.

Unlike a washer and assuming a front load dryer there typically aren't any tensioning devices as the drum only turns at a modest speed, rests atop rollers, and uses the front panel to keep the drum from striking out on its own :)

One of those rollers could have dead bearing or some physical damage. Pop the top up and back (typically held by hidden clips in the front), unscrew the front panel and carefully remove (as the drum will now likely flop out of the cabinet) and check out the rollers...

[edit] Also if one is going through that level of maintenance be sure to clean out all the lint in the back...

Cheers!

Unlike a washer and assuming a front load dryer there typically aren't any tensioning devices as the drum only turns at a modest speed, rests atop rollers, and uses the front panel to keep the drum from striking out on its own :)

One of those rollers could have dead bearing or some physical damage. Pop the top up and back (typically held by hidden clips in the front), unscrew the front panel and carefully remove (as the drum will now likely flop out of the cabinet) and check out the rollers...

[edit] Also if one is going through that level of maintenance be sure to clean out all the lint in the back...

Cheers!
Hey day_tripper, I did all that and couldn't spot the issue (I did find approximately $1.50 in change).

check for flat spot on rollers that support the drum in rear (I think) or a schmutz in the groove in which the rollers ride
Ok, I'll have another look at the rollers - I checked to see if they spun freely but didn't look too closely at the surfaces.

Take note of the timing of the noise. Is it regular? How often does it thump? Does it correspond with the drum speed? Might help take off the back and watch it operate, watch the belt, watch the idler pulley, see if something jumps or slips.
Sometimes these deals are "touchy, feely, see" kind of things. Might be a lint ball that makes the belt "hop" on the pulleys.
If it's any consolation, I can't hear it from where I'm sitting (LOL).
Happy hunting, :mug:
Joel B.
Yeah, it definitely is regular and I guess at the rate of the drum rotation. I'll have another look.

Most of the dryers I have worked on the back or front could be removed and still have it run. Might have to cheat the door switch or the like.
Maybe a loose baffle in the drum? Sound deadening material flapping against the sides?
Is it level and all of the feet on the floor?
Camo tennis shoe still in the drum ya cant see? (LOL)
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

How old is the dryer? Obviously I'd say if you can fix it yourself--based on all the good advice of others on this thread--it'll be a lot less expensive than hiring someone.

If you can't fix it, it's an economic calculation of whether you think it's worth it. Part of that is probably based on how old it is and what sort of issues you might expect to find in the [near] future. I'd If it's fairly new (or a really nice well-featured model), it might be worth hiring someone. If it's old, then I'd say write it off and buy new.

How old is the dryer? Obviously I'd say if you can fix it yourself--based on all the good advice of others on this thread--it'll be a lot less expensive than hiring someone.

If you can't fix it, it's an economic calculation of whether you think it's worth it. Part of that is probably based on how old it is and what sort of issues you might expect to find in the [near] future. I'd If it's fairly new (or a really nice well-featured model), it might be worth hiring someone. If it's old, then I'd say write it off and buy new.
I'd say it's pretty old. My last one lasted forever because I was able to replace the hidden fuse, the belt and the heating unit. Let's see if I can find the source of the thumping. If not will probably shell out for new.

I'd say it's pretty old. My last one lasted forever because I was able to replace the hidden fuse, the belt and the heating unit. Let's see if I can find the source of the thumping. If not will probably shell out for new.
I'm pretty sure if you take the front or back off, as @kartracer2 said, you'll find the culprit that produces the noise.
Just be careful, don't reach inside went plugged in, spinning things like that are dangerous.

All dryers will have removable fronts, and there will be removable panels in the back.
You're unlikely to get the ease of access to the rollers from the back.

Cheers!

Someone may have tried to sit or stand on the top. There's not a lot of clearance and a slight dimple can produce contact with the drum and it's not a continuous grind for whatever reason. I've done this when I've been working on pipes and electrical behind and above the dryer. Try putting your hand palm down on the top while running to see if there is a dimple somewhere.

Hey day_tripper, I did all that and couldn't spot the issue (I did find approximately $1.50 in change).
I got $0.47 last time! Check the washer filter too, I got a dollar bill out of there!

Attachments

• 20210520_211642.jpg
    20210520_211642.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
One other thought too after looking at the pic of mine in exploded view is maybe a side panel dimple. Note on mine that the drum doesn't appear too close to the top but that's because the drum droops forward with the front panel detached. There are two rollers on the front that the drum sits on. The case is just sheet metal and it doesn't take much force to push in the middle of a panel just a little bit. You might not see or hear contact with a panel off because the sides may bow out.

Attachments

• 20210521_000407.jpg
    20210521_000407.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210521_000429.jpg
    20210521_000429.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I suppose I'll be the first to ask @shetc ,the OP, what the make and model number of the dryer is. Might help a bit to find a parts diagram to see what's inside.
Just a thought.
Joel B.

Hey Joel -- It's a Maytag Centennial gas dryer, Model No: MGDC300XW1. Its manual has a 2010 publication date. Had a good look for dimples but didn't spot anything obvious on the top and sides. When I pull the dryer out to disassemble it again, I'll take a closer look. I'm still not clear if I can open the back and watch the drum turn but I guess I'll find out.

There's a bulkhead inside the back wall and behind the drum that'd be a super mega pita to actually remove if you really want to watch the drum turn from back there. Nearly everything is attached to that bulkhead. Huge.

1662661930191.png

Shouldn't need to do that. There are inspection ports back there if you can't visualize things totally from the front...

Hey Joel -- It's a Maytag Centennial gas dryer, Model No: MGDC300XW1. Its manual has a 2010 publication date. Had a good look for dimples but didn't spot anything obvious on the top and sides. When I pull the dryer out to disassemble it again, I'll take a closer look. I'm still not clear if I can open the back and watch the drum turn but I guess I'll find out.
I said dimple but it's not the best way to describe mine maybe just a minor depression. I wouldn't have thought it would cause a problem on mine at all as it doesn't look noticeable really. Plus I figured it ought to have a little clearance too! The top plate just sinks in a little, it makes a sound like waving a piece of sheet metal when pushed. I was able to just push it back twice which I think curves it up slightly and it has some rigidity but the last time I had to tap around it with a rubber mallet. (I think I've done it three times now because I tempted fate twice.) Visually you might see a little wear on the drum or on the top (side) plate if either has primer or paint on them. I was trying to think of a way to test this but all I can think of is to maybe draw a line on the drum with crayon, maybe a little thick from front to back and look for wear.

@shetc Thankies at least I know what you're playing with. It looks like removing the back might not help much as far as seeing any problems. I found a couple of web pages, Link#1, Link#2 that might help though. The first one has some video's that might help a bit. Both have some parts diagrams that may help also.
Ha' @day_trippr , you must have been looking at the same time as I. You are right about the bulk head but there is an actual back panel that is separate from the bulkhead you can remove.
There is various video's that show lifting the top and also removing the front and back.
Happy hunting & Cheers,
Joel B.

EDIT> P.S. If you buy parts, as always, shop around.

Last edited:
I'm well aware - I literally wrote the bulkhead was in front of the back wall - which would be #7 below and with the bulkhead removed in that image...

1662669005429.png

Sorry, @day_trippr I didn't mean any thing negative about what you said. I was looking at the same diagrams you were at the time you & I posted. I was just trying to help & didn't mean to step on any toes.
I hope the OP finds the problem and it's a cheap and easy fix.
Joel B.

No no - just having gone through what you're going through before trying to save wasted effort :)
fwiw, we're still rocking a Kenmore branded gas model from ~1970...

Alright, so removed the back panel and there is one small gap where the drum can be seen in motion. Not much of view but that was it.

And with the top up, thumping seems like from the left side

Rollers seem good

The only weird thing I spotted is what looks like a dent on the back panel where the drum rotates.
20220910_101423.jpg

Damn, I wouldn't think that dent would cause that by it's self. Check the rear drum seal, could there be something amiss (clumped up or missing) there that when that dent and something on the drum are at the same position it "thumps"?
Just spit balling here...
Joel B.

Well, Beer Friends, after watching the drum in action, I'm convinced it is no longer properly round but it's not obvious to the naked eye. The thump happens at the same place at each revolution and that's the only evidence I have. I could get a drum with fore/aft seals from Parts Warehouse for around $260. Probably better off just replacing what is a 12 year old machine, blah. The funny part is when I pulled the gas dryer out, I spotted a 240V outlet behind it -- if it's live then I have the option to purchase a gas or electric unit.

On the upside, I won a bronze medal yesterday for my saison. :)

Hey All,

I moved into a new home a few months ago. The previous owner left behind a dryer and washer.
if by chance there was a home warranty purchased they might replace it for you. If they don’t they are still worth checking to buy the new one oftentimes, usually able to get you good discount on popular models

Back