Wort question. How much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHammer16

Reaction score
Ive made a couple of batches so far but i have a couple of questions again.

Say a recipie calls for 3-4 pound of liq. malt extract and 2 pounds of dry LME. What would happen if you doubled the LME? Would it just increase the fermentable sugar level and therefore incresae the alch. content? Im still kinda confused about what components in a recipie do what to the brew.

I know there is some enzamatic part to all of this. But what is the funnction of the enzymes and dont i destroy them with the wort boil?

I know this is basic but my books have not arrived yet so i just gotta bug you all.

AHammer16 said:
Ive made a couple of batches so far but i have a couple of questions again.

Say a recipie calls for 3-4 pound of liq. malt extract and 2 pounds of dry LME. What would happen if you doubled the LME? Would it just increase the fermentable sugar level and therefore incresae the alch. content? Im still kinda confused about what components in a recipie do what to the brew.

I know there is some enzamatic part to all of this. But what is the funnction of the enzymes and dont i destroy them with the wort boil?

I know this is basic but my books have not arrived yet so i just gotta bug you all.

Just FYI...LME usually is shorthand for Liquid Malt Extract. There is no such thing as Dry Liquid Malt Extract.

Yes, I realize you probably meant Dry LIGHT Malt Extract, but your meaning is a little confusing.

That's the fun part about this hobby.. experiment! Adding more LME will increase the starting gravity (sugar content) and give you more fermentables, resulting in more alcohol.

Back