Wort Aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakeuphicks

Reaction score
How similar does the smell while the wort is in the fermenter end up being to the final product?
The reason I ask: First time brew and I'm making an amber ale, but smelling the wort through the airlock it smells really hoppy.Upon suggestion from my buddy during the boil, I added the full package of hops when the recipe didnt call for that much. Didnt seem like that much of a difference at the time, so I didnt give it much thought, but the hop smell is pretty overpowering as it is now. Is that how its going to end up, or is there still a chance that will subside somewhat?
thanks in advance

The reason you're smelling the hops aroma is because the venting co2 is carrying the aroma out of the beer with it. So the aroma will not end up being as strong as it is right now from the airlock.

If you tell us when and how much the recipe called for and when and how much you added, it will help to tell you what effect it had. But dlaramie is right in that the aroma from the airlock will be mostly hoppy no matter what beer it is.

What style of beer was it? The hop aroma from an IPA will be stronger than the aroma from a Stout, for example. Also, regardless of the style you are brewing, the wort will give you a little bit of an odor, but it dissapates and doesn't stick to any fabrics that I've noticed. The smell gives you a rough idea of what you have, but by no means is it the final product.

^ +2 Wait till you get a rhino batch you will be glad it doesn't taste like it smells in primary. What is 1 package ? 1 oz 8 oz and when was it added and what what hop was used ?

No longer have the exact recipe in front of me, but I believe it called for roughly 3.5 oz combined of Hallertauer/Cascade hops at 45 and 15 and I put in 2oz of each (4oz total hops)

AFAIK, hop aroma will be the first thing to fade. Even if it is overpowering when you open your first bottle (I tend to think it won't be), give it some time and that will mellow out and you'll have a great beer.

Back