Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldood

Reaction score

PapsD

Reaction score
Illinois sucks and we have a good beer scene.

Vinny91

Reaction score
We can brew up here in New York. I think NY takes the cake as far as worst state for many reasons which I will keep to myself :)

PapsD

Reaction score
I believe Mark Twain once said

"There are three kinds of lies; lies; Damn lies and statistics."

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
If Illinois isn't the worst, It has to be right at the bottom. It's certainly is last on my list, as well as the list of many that I know.

russrob81

Reaction score
I've lived in Maryland for all but 2 years of my life and it sucks. High taxes, expensive housing, horrible drivers, rude people, hot humid summers, cold cloudy winters with no snow just cold rain, ravens fans, baltimore. Crappy politicians that keep getting re-elected by idiots. I miss Colorado was so much better. At least I don't live in Montgomery county home of uber nanny state

SynthesisError

Reaction score
I think Mississippi scores so low because we have a huge percentage of people living on government assistance. There are too many people who don't want to take any initiative to create a better environment for themselves by working. Instead, they take the food stamps to feed the kids Totino's party pizzas and buy beer and drugs with any money they can make on the side. I think if the list ranked the states based on the laziness of their citizens, we would definitely be at the top.

With that being said, I love this place, with the exception of some antiquated laws and a bunch of idiots who give the rest of us a bad name. Also, this is one of the few states where I can keep a loaded pistol anywhere in my car (no permit required), so I can keep those idiots away from me if I need to.

littletommy

Reaction score
I live in the great state of Indiana, we have it pretty good here. My worst list would be

1. Tie between New York and Illinois.

2. California

3. Colorado

I'll keep my reasons to myself, but I think most who follow the news will know why.

brettg20

Reaction score
I live in the great state of Indiana, we have it pretty good here. My worst list would be

1. Tie between New York and Illinois.

2. California

3. Colorado

I'll keep my reasons to myself, but I think most who follow the news will know why.
Every state is going to have their good and bad points. But when you can go to the store and buy a Pliny the Elder or Stone or Alesmith, or Green Flash or any of the other countless # of great beers typically only available here and drink it by the beach in 80 degree weather on March 2, I'm a happy camper.

Cider123

Reaction score
I think Mississippi scores so low because we have a huge percentage of people living on government assistance. There are too many people who don't want to take any initiative to create a better environment for themselves by working. Instead, they take the food stamps to feed the kids Totino's party pizzas and buy beer and drugs with any money they can make on the side. I think if the list ranked the states based on the laziness of their citizens, we would definitely be at the top.

With that being said, I love this place, with the exception of some antiquated laws and a bunch of idiots who give the rest of us a bad name. Also, this is one of the few states where I can keep a loaded pistol anywhere in my car (no permit required), so I can keep those idiots away from me if I need to.
Unfortunately I think this work ethic is quickly becoming the norm for the nation.

PJM

Reaction score
Damn. If I were fat and stupid how could I not be happy? Ignorance is bliss after all.

littletommy

Reaction score
Every state is going to have their good and bad points. But when you can go to the store and buy a Pliny the Elder or Stone or Alesmith, or Green Flash or any of the other countless # of great beers typically only available here and drink it by the beach in 80 degree weather on March 2, I'm a happy camper.
Oh I agree, I love having a beer on the beach, we don't have many beaches here in Indiana, and the ones we do have, are generally more mud than sand. But, I can also open carry a LOADED firearm and not get a second look, I could even legally carry it into a bar and have a beer, if that's what I chose to do. (for the record, I don't go to bars, but I will occasionally have a beer in a restaurant, while carrying).:mug:

brettg20

Reaction score
Oh I agree, I love having a beer on the beach, we don't have many beaches here in Indiana, and the ones we do have, are generally more mud than sand. But, I can also open carry a LOADED firearm and not get a second look, I could even legally carry it into a bar and have a beer, if that's what I chose to do. (for the record, I don't go to bars, but I will occasionally have a beer in a restaurant, while carrying).:mug:
That is great you can carry a loaded firearm, personally I don't feel the need to do so. The last thing I think about when leaving my house is "damn, I wish I could carry a loaded rifle with me today"

Longrange2

Reaction score
That is great you can carry a loaded firearm, personally I don't feel the need to do so. The last thing I think about when leaving my house is "damn, I wish I could carry a loaded rifle with me today"
Mores the pity.... reminds me of a story about sheep, sheepdogs and wolves. I know where I fit in that spectrum and I don't plan on being part of the food chain.

NivekD

Reaction score
I can see this is going to turn ugly real soon...where's the popcorn?

BTW...beer and guns do not go together.

slimseven

Reaction score
I cannot relate, I live in Oregon which, is not only a beautiful state, but pretty relaxed on home brewing. Also, I can't think of a better state as far as micro breweries.

PapsD

Reaction score
Illinois is the worst I would say

2nd worst economy in the nation

At one point we had 2 governors in the federal prison system at the same time.

"temporary" income tax hike

Corrupt politicians who have been in power for forever

Major city that has the rest of the state by the balls

Crappy gun laws

Crap medical MJ law

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
Don't forget

one of the highest gas taxes in the US and overall some of the $hi77iest roads to drive on.

A new corporate tax structure that is driving corporations out of the state.

A mountain of unpaid bills, and one of the least funded pension systems.

7 governors and numerous congressmen in prison or have gone to prison. JJJ's daddy will probably keep him out.

brettg20

Reaction score
I think we all need to realize that we live in the greatest country on Earth. We argue about gun laws, politics etc but what about poverty stricken countries that don't even have clean drinking water....yet we take that for granted every time we brew a batch of beer.

bobeck

Reaction score
love vermont...moved here about 25 years ago and can't imaging living anywhere else

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I think we all need to realize that we live in the greatest country on Earth. We argue about gun laws, politics etc but what about poverty stricken countries that don't even have clean drinking water....yet we take that for granted every time we brew a batch of beer.
...but beer is credited with making crappy drinking water drinkable. We should start air dropping dry yeast, hops and ME for those poor countries.

PapsD

Reaction score
Don't forget

one of the highest gas taxes in the US and overall some of the $hi77iest roads to drive on.

A new corporate tax structure that is driving corporations out of the state.

A mountain of unpaid bills, and one of the least funded pension systems.

7 governors and numerous congressmen in prison or have gone to prison. JJJ's daddy will probably keep him out.
What about

A "temporary" toll system that won't die

High gas prices

The only state that has to pay sales tax on all web purchases

Emissions testing

Madighanistan

Being the poster child for over government

Closed door sweetheart tax deals to keep a selected few corporate headquarters in state

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
What about

A "temporary" toll system that won't die

High gas prices

The only state that has to pay sales tax on all web purchases

Emissions testing

Madighanistan

Being the poster child for over government

Closed door sweetheart tax deals to keep a selected few corporate headquarters in state

There is emissions testing in Illinois?

Pappers_

Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This has made the inevitable move to the overtly political and partisan. My choices are let my head explode or to lock it, so I'm locking it. If you want to continue this conversation in the Debate Forum, have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.