My Hopstopper V2 - On Gas - Implementation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really appreciate you taking the time to share this build. I have been experimenting with both a spider (no free hops) and a bazooka screen (free hops). So far, the bazooka works the best (labor-wise), but I imagine that the hop blocker would work better based upon what I have already learned from your experience. If you would be so kind, I have one more question/observation.

When you drop the hop blocker, it is going to trap some trub under it. If you then start the whirlpool for your cooling, is it then being pumped out from under the hop blocker into the rest of the boil kettle? While it is whirlpooling, is it actually pre-filtering the wort, in a sense, because the hop blocker is acting as a filter during the whirlpool process?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the process.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them :)

So, here's the trick: I do not drop the Hopstopper from its hook until the post-boil whirlpool has completed and the wort has been chilled to pitching temperature. While whirlpooling and then chilling I recirculate through the second drain valve I installed - the one with a simple dip tube inside. Meanwhile the Hopstopper is on the original drain valve and still hanging from its hook. This is how I avoid loading up the Hopstopper while I'm whirlpooling and chilling :)

Once the wort is chilled down and ready to pump to my carboys I move the kettle drain tubing to the valve with the Hopstopper, then drop the Hopstopper. I do not wait, nor do I hurry, after stopping the pump. I'm not sure it would matter. Then - very carefully - I start up the kettle pump again and bring the flow rate up to a gallon per minute. I'll put a gallon in one carboy, switch to the other and put two gallons in, then alternate between carboys at 2 gallons per interval, until they're both filed and the kettle has been sucked dry, leaving a super thick hop mass behind.

As I said I don't wait nor hurry to drop the Hopstopper, I usually get it dropped within a minute of shutting down the boil pump. One thing I've noticed is the tip of the dip tube inside always seems to find the bottom so even if there is some thickness to the hops under the mesh it doesn't really seem to matter...

Cheers!

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them :)
So, here's the trick:
<truncated>
Cheers!

I do appreciate your sharing of your knowledge. I asked about the pre-filter/whirlpool filter aspect because I don't want to clog up the plate chiller with hops and trub. Since I am throttling the pump way back to allow for 70F groundwater to cool the wort anyway, I wonder if this would work without putting too much pressure on the mesh; both during a hop-loaded whirlpool and before cooling on the way to the fermenter. Destroying a Franklin is not on my to-do list.

Ah, ok, I get it. Definitely a more challenging process that I have specifically avoided: I actually have a Duda Diesel 30 plate 12" chiller on my brew rig but since the NEIPA has dominated my brewing over the last three years now I have been mostly using my SS IC instead. So, you'd be the point person trying the technique of using the Hopstopper to protect a PC. In that regard all I can advise is to respect the 1 GPM constraint. And let us know how it goes :)

Cheers! (and good luck!)

Any thoughts on how I can incorporate a hopstopper into my all in one spike kettle? My process right now is to use my spike kettle for the mash and boil. At the end of boil I transfer the wort over to my anvil foundry with a hopstopper installed. I'd love one less thing to clean, remove the foundry from my process, and have the hopstopper in the spike kettle.

My spike kettle has 4 tc ports at the lowest height (thermocouple, 240v element, dip tube pointing down, and dip tube pointing sideways). There's a capped tc port slightly higher than the lowest ports that used to be used for whirlpooling. Because I use a false bottom with a brew bag, the capped wp port is challenging to use as it sits above the false bottom. In addition, I split the recirculation below the bag and top of bag during the mash for temperature stability. Unfortunately the hopstopper doesn't slide under the element so it must be installed before the element.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Attachments

• PXL_20230224_235228590.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230224_235228590.MP.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Sorry, I missed your post until now (happened to visit after linking this page elsewhere).

That setup is a bit of a tough nut to crack, not enough space under the element is clearly the killer as the filter needs to reach the kettle bottom, and obviously the screen and bag of malt alone preclude a solution like mine :)

However the Electric Brewery sells Hop Stoppers of varying geometries and can even do custom designs to fit tight situations like yours. Might be worth a look...

Cheers! (and good luck)

Any thoughts on how I can incorporate a hopstopper into my all in one spike kettle? My process right now is to use my spike kettle for the mash and boil. At the end of boil I transfer the wort over to my anvil foundry with a hopstopper installed. I'd love one less thing to clean, remove the foundry from my process, and have the hopstopper in the spike kettle.

My spike kettle has 4 tc ports at the lowest height (thermocouple, 240v element, dip tube pointing down, and dip tube pointing sideways). There's a capped tc port slightly higher than the lowest ports that used to be used for whirlpooling. Because I use a false bottom with a brew bag, the capped wp port is challenging to use as it sits above the false bottom. In addition, I split the recirculation below the bag and top of bag during the mash for temperature stability. Unfortunately the hopstopper doesn't slide under the element so it must be installed before the element.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Complex, let me see if I understand your dilemma. You recirc below (and above) during the mash. So you don't want to do that with the hopstopper in place on the outlet diptube tube (pickup)? The capped port right above the false bottom is challenging to use. In general(?) or just for the hopstopper (?) or both? It seems like you said you could get the hopstopper in place underneath by installing it before putting in the element.

I see a possible solution that permits different options. Install another dip tube in the challenging port that extends below the false bottom, through the screening. It could be a whirlpool port. It could be a tall dip tube that reaches the hopstopper. It could be a pickup tube. If your hopstopper actually fits, best profile for the new diptube would be as a pickup tube straightd down if your other ports allow connection to the hopstopper. If you were using the new diptube as a tall 90 to hit the hopstopper, you would want to be sure that you cut the end near the bottom as recommended because I think your bag would exert pressure on the tube and squish it against the flat bottom.

I am not sure how it might work or look with TC, but a 90 inside the kettle cocked at 45° followed by a 45 could get a whirlpool tube down and then horizontal.

Also, if you hadn't thought of it, you can flip your element over to put the curves on opposite sides if that might be advantageous.

Or longer legs on your false bottom if that might work since you are recirculating in two places.

Complex, let me see if I understand your dilemma. You recirc below (and above) during the mash. So you don't want to do that with the hopstopper in place on the outlet diptube tube (pickup)? The capped port right above the false bottom is challenging to use. In general(?) or just for the hopstopper (?) or both? It seems like you said you could get the hopstopper in place underneath by installing it before putting in the element.
Yup you got that right. Either diptube under the false bottom poses problems... Put it on the pickup and the mash particles will clog the hopstopper. Put it on the whirlpool output and the hopstopper will clog in the other direction as well as having to face the diptube downwards instead of sideways.

The capped port above the false bottom is tough to use in general I think. Can't use it during the mash for much... A temp probe wouldn't work in that spot during the mash with the bag of grain resting against it. A diptube would be challenging to get something attached to it that fits through the false bottom. During the boil it could definitely be used for a whirlpool but that doesn't really help with my mash regime.

I see a possible solution that permits different options. Install another dip tube in the challenging port that extends below the false bottom, through the screening. It could be a whirlpool port. It could be a tall dip tube that reaches the hopstopper. It could be a pickup tube. If your hopstopper actually fits, best profile for the new diptube would be as a pickup tube straightd down if your other ports allow connection to the hopstopper. If you were using the new diptube as a tall 90 to hit the hopstopper, you would want to be sure that you cut the end near the bottom as recommended because I think your bag would exert pressure on the tube and squish it against the flat bottom.
I've thought about this too. The problem is the gap between the false bottom and the kettle wall is small. The holes in the false bottom are also small so I don't think anything is fitting through or around it. I suppose I could cut a groove on the outside of the false bottom to allow for a diptube to pass through.

The solution that I've come to if I ever do it is to move the temp probe out of the kettle and into a TC tee. That freed up port on the kettle could then have a diptube attached to the hopstopper.

I am not sure how it might work or look with TC, but a 90 inside the kettle cocked at 45° followed by a 45 could get a whirlpool tube down and then horizontal.

Also, if you hadn't thought of it, you can flip your element over to put the curves on opposite sides if that might be advantageous.

Or longer legs on your false bottom if that might work since you are recirculating in two places.

Thanks for your feedback on my predicament. Any other outside the box thinking is welcome!!

Yup you got that right. Either diptube under the false bottom poses problems... Put it on the pickup and the mash particles will clog the hopstopper. Put it on the whirlpool output and the hopstopper will clog in the other direction as well as having to face the diptube downwards instead of sideways.

The capped port above the false bottom is tough to use in general I think. Can't use it during the mash for much... A temp probe wouldn't work in that spot during the mash with the bag of grain resting against it. A diptube would be challenging to get something attached to it that fits through the false bottom. During the boil it could definitely be used for a whirlpool but that doesn't really help with my mash regime.

I've thought about this too. The problem is the gap between the false bottom and the kettle wall is small. The holes in the false bottom are also small so I don't think anything is fitting through or around it. I suppose I could cut a groove on the outside of the false bottom to allow for a diptube to pass through.

The solution that I've come to if I ever do it is to move the temp probe out of the kettle and into a TC tee. That freed up port on the kettle could then have a diptube attached to the hopstopper.

Thanks for your feedback on my predicament. Any other outside the box thinking is welcome!!
The temp probe would work fine on a tee on the out valve. It's where I have my temperature probe for my mash PID. I actually followed parts of @day_trippr 's setup here on my electric BK. I put a new valve port on and use that at the end of the boil to drain only through the hopstopper. I can get the hopstopper in place without removing the element. Dropping it in as he does would be challenging I would think but I wasn't worried about scorching so it has been positioned prior to BK transfer. My BK is a keggle.

Back