Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red Bridge.. I was at a decent establishment for food and drinks.. drinking a Troegs Pale Ale because they were the special and saw a label I've never seen. It was Red Bridge. I like to order random beers and figured I'd give this one a shot. As soon as I ordered it and looked at the label it said "anheuser busch." I was immediately pissed. It was gluten free (if you're into that that's fine), but this tasted like ****.

I'm a little surprised to see Shipyard coming up here, maybe its just because I'm from Portland and slightly biased. But seriously, there is nothing like an Old Thumper draft after work.

Worst beer I have ever tasted? Dog Bite high gravity lager. Nasty stuff, could possibly be used to thin oil paints. And just one can gave me the worst headache I've ever had from a beer. Nasty!

I'm a little surprised to see Shipyard coming up here, maybe its just because I'm from Portland and slightly biased. But seriously, there is nothing like an Old Thumper draft after work.

Worst beer I have ever tasted? Dog Bite high gravity lager. Nasty stuff, could possibly be used to thin oil paints. And just one can gave me the worst headache I've ever had from a beer. Nasty!

I don't get the whole "I hate Shipyard" thing either.

Last night I went to buy grolsch and was not wearing my glasses. I got home and realized I bought Carlsberg.
To me that stuff taste nasty.

j1laskey said:
I don't get the whole "I hate Shipyard" thing either.

I live in Portland too. My problem with shipyard is all there beers taste like diactyl (butterscotch). I think they are rushing fermentation a bit. If you don't know what it is you might not notice it, but once you do that's all you (or I) can taste.
Fortunately Portland has no lack of good local beer.

Wild blue, hands down the worst I've ever had. I will never again listen to someone's recommendation who "normally doesn't like beer" :mad:

Last summer I brought a big pitcher of mojitos to a bbq in Miami. When the mojitos were consumed, the host asked if I wanted a beer, and I happily accepted the offer. He came back and handed me a Bud Light..... Lime. I quickly surveyed the area and determined that that was the only beer available. I think that may have been the most offensive thing that I have ever tasted, and having done field research in the rainforests of Indonesia, I have tasted many very strange things. It was like someone had dissolved a lime candy in soda water mixed with stale lager and a hint of urine. I thought maybe it had gone bad, but the "brewed on" date was only a couple days before.

I have never been so saddened by a beverage in my life. Not even 104F and 100% humidity could make that "beer" good.

I was camping with my dad. Once we ran out of Budweiser, we went to a mini-mart in the middle of nowhere Montana and the price of even Budweiser was through the roof. The cheapest thing on the shelf was a half rack of Oly. It was so bad that we couldn't choke it down so instead we drank some liquor we had and threw the cans on the fire. Talk about beer bombs!

I live in Portland too. My problem with shipyard is all there beers taste like diactyl (butterscotch). I think they are rushing fermentation a bit. If you don't know what it is you might not notice it, but once you do that's all you (or I) can taste.
Fortunately Portland has no lack of good local beer.

I know what diactyl is....but I can't taste it at all in Shipyard beers.

I personally think that people see their beers as being "boring". That Shipyard is not as extreme or as creative as some other breweries. For example, Shipyard's IPA, is a Fuggle IPA...that ain't no hop bomb....it scored 76 on BA (if BA ratings even mean anything, but I digress).

Their IPA isn't meant to blast your face like Furious, Pliny, or Green Flash's Westcoast IPA. Fuggle IPA is a British pub style IPA. All of Shipyard's beers are British pub style, which is not a very sexy style of beer when it comes to ABV and IBU's.

Or maybe its that they have grown to almost as Sam Adams size and it's trendy to dislike the once small micro breweries?

Or, maybe it's the Ringwood yeast, like you stated....what the hell do I know?

I do know it's Friday...I am stopping on the way home to pick up a 6 of Bigfoot...and now Old Thumper will be on the list....

Coastal fog holiday ale - horrible horrible horrible stuff. We were intoxicted and decided it would be a good idea to get a "mystery pack" from Bevmo.. turned out 8 of 24 was this crap. We pawned it off to unsuspecting victims just to watch their face. Ugh... its that bad.

Leinenkugels sunset wheat - it you like fruity pebble beer than this is for you.
Coastal fog holiday ale is the ****. It tastes like Christmas sprinkled on top of Thanksgiving. Like a ginger bread house or something. Maybe u got a bad batch or something. Or ur just one of those butt wiper drinkers

I know what diactyl is....but I can't taste it at all in Shipyard beers.

I personally think that people see their beers as being "boring". That Shipyard is not as extreme or as creative as some other breweries. For example, Shipyard's IPA, is a Fuggle IPA...that ain't no hop bomb....it scored 76 on BA (if BA ratings even mean anything, but I digress).

Their IPA isn't meant to blast your face like Furious, Pliny, or Green Flash's Westcoast IPA. Fuggle IPA is a British pub style IPA. All of Shipyard's beers are British pub style, which is not a very sexy style of beer when it comes to ABV and IBU's.

Or maybe its that they have grown to almost as Sam Adams size and it's trendy to dislike the once small micro breweries?

Or, maybe it's the Ringwood yeast, like you stated....what the hell do I know?

I do know it's Friday...I am stopping on the way home to pick up a 6 of Bigfoot...and now Old Thumper will be on the list....

I think its shipyards yeast- the fuggles was pretty englishy,the hop is an english hop but the beer definatly has a big english tone to it.I liked it for what it is-unfortuantly the ratings tend to go for the bigger bolder more theme.Although im starting to like this less after having another,im not big on whatever the yeast it is i think,like some of the english beers.

It's not the worst I've ever had, but the first and only IPA I ever dumped: Terrapin hopsecutioner.

Disclaimer: I love IPAs.

I had a terrible 4 pack of Six Points Rightous, it had a real bitter tangerine flavor to it and was told its not suppose to taste like that at all.

Worst non-skunked beer? Miller high life.

Little Kings Cream Ale has, if I recall, a real depth to it's nastiness that really goes beyond what other watery bad beers are capable of.

Worst I ever had was Maxx. 1993 - Freshman in college looking for the most beer for the buck. Maxx was on sale for something like $9 for a CASE. So, we bought several cases. I had it hidden in my bedroom over break back behind my waterbed. It got nice and warm back there. We snuck it out to go grab a movie and drank it on the way.....warm. Still powered through just to catch the buzz. My how times have changed.....

Miller High Life is WAY too nostalgic to give bad reviews. $1 miller sent to the girl at the other end of the bar in college was a way better opener than "so what's your major?" and if that girl wound up my girlfriend down the line we would still be drinking them together at the Mad Hatter/any number of bad college bars.

These days though... it is pretty subpar...

miller high life is way too nostalgic to give bad reviews. $1 miller sent to the girl at the other end of the bar in college was a way better opener than "so what's your major?" and if that girl wound up my girlfriend down the line we would still be drinking them together at the mad hatter/any number of bad college bars.

These days though... It is pretty subpar...

As stated, literally a few minutes ago in another thread.... P...B...R. The mere thought if it, at this point in my beer-consuming and brewing life, is 'ish'. It served as a great training wheel into the world of beer, and was quickly replaced with Guiness->Widmer Hef-> various Big Sky Brewing Company brews->and then onto others. PBR was something my father drank after mowing the lawn, and I loved that he let me take a 'sip' of it when I was a kid.

It's a good life, really...

to the original poster:

i was born and raised in florida, but both of my parents are from bay city michigan as well as all my family. my family and i go there every christmas break, and when i finally turned 21 this past break, my father recommended i try a stroh's, a legendary northern beer, when i went to the bar with my cousins.

sure enough, i ordered one and even took a picture of this northern legend! i actually don't remember it being too bad.

but for my worst beer, i CANNOT STAND bud light! i can drink natty lights, coors, and budweisers, but i just can't manage to get a bud light in me for the life of me!

396311_2512261686207_1243080468_32333960_1248526549_n.jpg

While going "around the world" at a local sports bistro called Bonicki's with a group of guys, I was in charge of drinking all the dark beers. I was also assigned OLD SPECKLED HEN, this **** smells and tastes like fermented vomit!

to the original poster:

i was born and raised in florida, but both of my parents are from bay city michigan as well as all my family. my family and i go there every christmas break, and when i finally turned 21 this past break, my father recommended i try a stroh's, a legendary northern beer, when i went to the bar with my cousins.

sure enough, i ordered one and even took a picture of this northern legend! i actually don't remember it being too bad.

but for my worst beer, i CANNOT STAND bud light! i can drink natty lights, coors, and budweisers, but i just can't manage to get a bud light in me for the life of me!

Is that how clear it looks? That's nuts. I've only ever drunk it from the can. used to buy two six packs (cheapest dozen beer I could get then) and call it a pair of s'trohS. Good memories for me with that stuff.

People that say bud or miller: try something else of a light lager there are plenty of others to call terrible. If they were that terrrible they wouldnt sell.
Its like saying Ive tried Green Flash ipa and Lagunitas ipa only and i liked laguniatas more maybe so therfore greeen flash was the worst ipa ive ever tried.In a way.

jonmohno said:
People that say bud or miller: try something else of a light lager there are plenty of others to call terrible. If they were that terrrible they wouldnt sell.

+1000
There are at least 25 beers I can think of off the top of my head that are a hell of a lot worse then bud and miller

spearko520 said:
isn't asking about bad beer like asking about an orgasm you didn't enjoy?

Not really a bad beer is one u can not drink. As in if u continue drinking it u might die. I would compare it to having sex with a gremlin u have no chance of having an orgasm. Hope that clears this up. Chopps

i pound four locos and joose all the time after i rack up a big tab at the beer bar around the corner (they don't serve liquor)- i always insist on their finest chalice. it's become a bit of a running joke over the years...

Not really a bad beer is one u can not drink. As in if u continue drinking it u might die. I would compare it to having sex with a gremlin u have no chance of having an orgasm. Hope that clears this up. Chopps

sex with gremlins is deadly and dry? i KNOW you don't mean the car, good sir...

Latest posts

Back