Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shiner Smokehouse. Tasted like they squeezed sausage drippings into it.

Also, when I was growing up, there was a regional drug store chain (K&B Pharmacy) that store brand labeled items (i.e. mouthwash, aspirin, etc). Well, they produced a beer that came in purple cans that couldn't have been expensive based on the caliber people I saw buying it. I wasn't old enough to try it, but it must have been pretty heinous.

+1 on Leinenkugels Berry Weiss.....are ya friggin kidding me...it tasted like Kool Aid.gack

Colt 45 tasted better :(

Leinnies Summer Shandy.

I was at a concert, and, it was somebody elses turn to buy a round. I mumbled something (can't remember what my macro choices were..but I picked the least offensive) apparently there was a mixup at the beer tent when they switched kegs, and we all ended up with glasses of Shandy.

Absolutely not going down..

I think the summer shandy is pretty good,if you're looking for a nice change,& it's hot outside. It's from an original idea at a particular inn outside Munich.
The one I can't stand is a toss up between Lowenwizz & Pilsner urquell in the green bottles. The PU tastes like fermented skunk spray.:drunk:

Its not the worst beer but I just had it recently and it was awful. Asylum by Left Coast. Its supposed to be a tripel. It looks nice in the glass and even smells heavenly but then you take a sip and get the biggest dissappointment of all time. Its way too sweet and too much alcohol notes at the end. I refuse to pour out beer so it took me over 2 hours to drink a bomber. It has a B rating on beeradvocate but it deserves a D in my book.

Actually the only beer I downright won't drink if offered to me for free is Fosters. Just the thought of it makes me sick, honestly, WTF is that crap supposed to be anyway?

Coors Light. The yanks may disagree, but I thought it was absolutely terrible. Just tasted...watery and ricey. Horrible.

Coors light has no taste. No taste is a lot better than rank taste.

I think I would have to go with a tie between Olde English 800 which could make you hurl after a 40 even if it wasn't for the 8% ABV, and Pearl Beer which had the ad campaign of the blue collar middle age guy in work clothes stating: "Pearl, it's a good beer, a good Drinking Beer" which loosely translated to "it might taste like ass, but when you're out to get hammered this won't cost you much and will get the job done."

Coors light has no taste. No taste is a lot better than rank taste.

I think I would have to go with a tie between Olde English 800 which could make you hurl after a 40 even if it wasn't for the 8% ABV, and Pearl Beer which had the ad campaign of the blue collar middle age guy in work clothes stating: "Pearl, it's a good beer, a good Drinking Beer" which loosely translated to "it might taste like ass, but when you're out to get hammered this won't cost you much and will get the job done."

Haha, reminds me of Samuel Jackson's "it'll get you drunk!" off of Dave Chapelle

21st Amendment Watermelon Wheat - Watermelon rinds and bile are the only things I tasted in the 2 sips I managed to force down, the only beer I've ever poured down the drain during a tasting.

I'll bite. I have two "worst commercial beers ever".

1) This one might not be a surprise but Miller Lite. Tastes like rotten bread every time I've tried it.. Basically any other "cheap" or "BMC beer" I can choke down, but this one literally gags me.

2) This one is going to blow some people away, but Bells Hopslam. I love unbelievably hoppy beers, seriously I do. Off hand, I can say Rogues IIPA is one of my favorites and I also like Maharaja as well as most dozens of others. However, Hopslam to me just tastes like soapy catpee.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/wh...-story-behind-130703/index11.html#post2468360
^My post from another Horrible Beer Thread. Also, Anything from Michelobs Wheat Beer Sampler. On one occasion I drank the hop hound, then followed it with the Dunkelweisse and I swear it tasted like drinking Franks n Beans. It was somewhat unsettling. The Honey Wheat just tasted like someone dumped honey into skunked beer. Blah. I need me some more homebrew to cleanse my mental palate.

One of the worst I've tried is Rogue's Chipotle... first beer I've ever actually spit out, tried again and spit a second time. And I actually have a jalapeno wheat in my brewing rotation. But the smoke was waaay too much in that chipotle.

Runner up was Sam Adams Scotch Ale. Again the smoke flavor tasted like pure crap.

I don't think all smoke flavored beers are terrible, but when the smoke is over done... it's horrible. For example I didn't mind Left Hand's Fade to Black.

I once bought a combo pack of cans from Ska Brewing Company and it's the first time in my life that I dumped a beer. It was the most horrid crap I've ever tried. I've heard some people like it, but dear God I thought it was gross.

I don't know how commercial it was, but at Guby's in Elkhart, Indiana they had their own draft beer in the mid 90's and it was terrible. Almost to the point of having to lick my own a$$ to get the taste out of my mouth.

Two days ago, I tried a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat (bottle, in California). It was really strange and bad. Really strong grapefruit aroma and flavor, half-masking a truly horrible taste that I can't describe. It was the first beer I've dumped since 21st Amendment's Watermelon Wheat.

Actually, judging by my Pintley ratings, I think I'm just not a fan of wheat beer. 3 out of my bottom 5 are wheats.

edgeofblade said:
I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere already: Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat. Smells and tastes like a bowl of Fruity Pebbles.

Not gonna lie I like this beer for that exact reason. On a hot summer day the fruity pebble taste and smell is kinda nice.

Schlitz Red Bull. If that even qualifies as beer.

I've had a horribly skunked Old Speckled Hen once that was so awful, you couldn't pay me to try it again. At least not until they ditch the clear bottle.

Oh, and a whole case of Hair of the Dog's Doggie Claws that was improperly capped, and so completely flat and oxidized, and I think when that happens with a barleywine like that, it's particularly vile. What made things worse is that they were known to be having issues with their capper for that batch (replacing it immediately after), and even though it was ordered directly from the brewery through a group buy, they refused to do even the slightest thing about it - and a case of barleywine ain't cheap! Most expensive drain pour ever... and to rub a little more salt in the wound, the labels were by far the hardest ones I've ever attempted to remove. You can bet HotD will never see another dime from me.

A Russian beer called Lobster Lovers Porter - don't know what I was thinking, but it was unbelievably bad !

Opaque beer in Antiqua, TWI. This is made by fermenting a very thin mash, then bottling it, grain, husks, yeast, everything. Alcoholic gruel.

Despite the truly horrible array of bad malt liquor available, I bet yours took the cake. My first all-grain batch I decided to clean the mash tun the next day - WOW, even thinking about that smell gives me the dry heaves.

So I imagine the "product" you describe was beyond parallel.

The worst beer I ever drank was Egyptian Stella, Spent 6 months in Egypt in the early 90's this crap was so bad I preferred to drink the homemade vodka made by one of the local guys.

Have to say that there have only been 2 beers in my life I couldn't finish, this was one, and the other was some Czechoslovakian beer that I can't remember the name of.

2zzmefn.jpg

when I was in high school, my buddy and I snuck a 12 pack of meisterbrau in our suitcases to football camp. I don't think meister would necessarily be the worst beer I've ever had, but there was no refrigeration so we pounded warm meisters in the dorm rooms we were staying in. I can still remember holding back my gag reflexes. Oh the things we did in high school for a cheap buzz...

Brew 102. It was early in college 20 years ago and we had exactly $10 for beer. We got a case of Brew 102 for $10, including tax. It was awful but we wanted to get drunk, so we kept drinking it.

Worst brew I ever tried was a friends coffee stout. When I tried it I cound only get a few mouthfulls of the stuff down before I had to toss it. He was proud and had no problem choking it down, so I kept my coments to myself. I asked him what his proces was and his reply was pretty shocking. First he leaves all the grains in during the boil, fermenting proces, and even a little in the bottles. He also fermented in a plastic rubbermaid container, witch would explain the plastic flavor I supose. Because he was a coffee nut, he also used a pound of espresso coffee grounds. It seemed like a good idea, except espresso coffee is ground extreemley fine thus making the already gritty beer even more gritty.

Worst brew I ever tried was a friends coffee stout. When I tried it I cound only get a few mouthfulls of the stuff down before I had to toss it. He was proud and had no problem choking it down, so I kept my coments to myself. I asked him what his proces was and his reply was pretty shocking. First he leaves all the grains in during the boil, fermenting proces, and even a little in the bottles. He also fermented in a plastic rubbermaid container, witch would explain the plastic flavor I supose. Because he was a coffee nut, he also used a pound of espresso coffee grounds. It seemed like a good idea, except espresso coffee is ground extreemley fine thus making the already gritty beer even more gritty.

LOL! To think, I'm hypersensitive about my homebrew, always wondering if it's good enough to share, and this guy was *proud* of that... ewww... LOL... ewww.... LOL....:mug:

im no fan of a-b budweiser, budvar budweiser on the other hand...:ban:

i was absolutely amazed to hear some of you guys raving about bodingtons and McEwans, these are ranked as some of the nastiest wastes of grain and hops (sorry corn syrup and isomerised extract)in the uk. you can normally find em next to the truly foul own brand bitters and lagers in the big supermarkets!:eek:

im no fan of a-b budweiser, budvar budweiser on the other hand...:ban:

i was absolutely amazed to hear some of you guys raving about bodingtons and McEwans, these are ranked as some of the nastiest wastes of grain and hops (sorry corn syrup and isomerised extract)in the uk. you can normally find em next to the truly foul own brand bitters and lagers in the big supermarkets!:eek:

I've heard that the Budweiser in Europe is good, as compared to the stuff they sell us here, which is why George Clooney likes it. (He lives in Italy, I guess.) I wouldn't know, because the last time I was doing serious drinking in Western Europe I was pouring Guinness down my throat too quickly to make room for a mere Budweiser. ;)

Maybe our Boddington's is good compared to what they sell you? Does anyone know?

Cave Creek Chili Beer is by far the worst I've ever had. I bought two 22oz bottles of this stuff about 13 years ago in AZ. Tried drinking one and the other is still sitting on a shelf in my house as a reminder never to try something like that again.

Love this review of it. "like licking a$$hole on a hot sunny day"

Last edited by a moderator:
While in high school my buddy used to drink what he called breakfast brew but I think its actually called a "Brass monkey". He would drink the cone of a mickeys and fill it back up with OJ. I tried to drink it once and I nearly vomited on the spot.

I've heard that the Budweiser in Europe is good, as compared to the stuff they sell us here, which is why George Clooney likes it. (He lives in Italy, I guess.) I wouldn't know, because the last time I was doing serious drinking in Western Europe I was pouring Guinness down my throat too quickly to make room for a mere Budweiser. ;)

Maybe our Boddington's is good compared to what they sell you? Does anyone know?

it predates american bud by 400 odd years.... its one of the most superior massed produced lagers in europe. i wouldnt wash me dogs bum with u.s. budweiser;)god i hope your boddies is better than ours ,once it was all fabulous when it was brewed in manchester now its done in cardiff and its seriously sub standard, bizarely the cask is still made in manchester and is actually still good but the keg??bleurgh.

and guiness? well its definately the widest known european stout,its good but there is far better out there. , i honestly think its mainly the biggest and blandest that make it over both sides of the pond, sad really as there are excellent craft beers made inthe us and over here

now if you wanted to try out really excellent beers from the uk these lads might be able to helphttp://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/

Josef Hoffbauer Lager was by far the worst. It was the first beer at my Kroger that you could use your Kroger card with. $3.49 for a 12-pack. That hangover hurt like none other that I've had the next morning, and a wrecked house to clean up from the fraternity party from the night before. Good times!

and guiness? well its definately the widest known european stout,its good but there is far better out there.

I was a beer novice back in those days, but even as a novice I knew that the Guinness in Europe tasted better than the Guinness I've had here in the States.

We used to drink Cruzcampo when I was stationed in Spain. They sold it in 6-packs of 40oz. bottles for the equivalent of $3.

I grew up drinking Milwaukee's Best Ice and I could barely choke down a Cruzcampo.

my friends and I got a beach house for a week and got a deal on 60 cases of pbr. needless to say, after 3 days we couldn't even look it anymore

Back