Worried about the lack of foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamsolonly

Reaction score
I made a batch of ale. First one in my life. It had the yeast on the top for the first 3 days now it's day 4 and it just looks like there is a whole bunch of dirt floating in it. It bubbles a little bit. Once maybe every 10 sec. I have my a/c on in the house and it was in the basement through this whole thing so it never really had much foam or much bubbling. I'm kinda worried I tried it, it tastes ok but it's really flat and my alcohol level on the hydromoter reads about 2%. I want to put a cup of dextrose in it and put it somewhere warmer so maybe i see some foam come up or maybe the alcohol level will rise. It's day 5 today and it doesn't look clear or has the desired alcohol content. If i add a cup of sugar and put it somewhere warm it can't do any harm right?

I would just try warming up at this point (65-70 is probably good, I generally keep my ales around 65 if I can). Don't want to muck about with it too much (opening up, putting things in) as the wort is very susceptible to infection at this point.

I don't even know where to begin.....:D

First off using the Alcohol scale on a triple scale hydrometer is not accurate for beer, especially if you just started fermentation..they way you calculate ABV is by taking a grav reading before you pitch the yeast (OG)....then one after fermentation has stopped and the hydrometer reading stayed the same for 3 days... that is the final gravity reading..(FG)

The formula for ABV is OG - Fg X 131

Your beer is not 2%, you read the wrong scale.

This is the scale to read...

hydrometer-closeup.gif

If you brewed a kit OR followed a proven recipe then your ABV is around whatever the recipe says it is...

NEXT

The dirt floating on it is called Krauzen, it means fermentation is happenning and it will fall and eventually clear, actually it is probably the remainder of the krauzen...it is normal it will fall.

It is a sign that fermentation is occuring/occured NORMALLY!

Thirdly

The beer will taste flat until you bottle it and let it carb and condition for 3 weeks at 70 degrees.

Fourthly

Bubbling of an airlock really means nothing, it is not an indication of fermentation, there are too many factors that affect bubbling of an airlock, including the seal around the carboy or bucket, or too many co2 bubbles sitting on the bell valve...The only way to tell is with the proper hydrometer readings as mentioned in the beginning.

AND

It tasting like Redstripe or anything at this phase means nothing...The beer is Green and Raw...

Again this has to do with the lack of carbonation/bottle conditioning.

Read this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

Next

DON'T ADD ANYTHING ELSE TO THE BEER OR MOVE, IT EVERYTHING IS FINE!!!!

Everything you described is normal...

You just have n00bitus!!!!!!!

Leave it till thursday, take a hydro reading, then again on saturday...if they stay the same fermentation is complete, then you can rack it to secondary, or leave it for another week or 3 to clear up.

Leave it alone...Don't keep openning the bucket or peeking at it, or think of adding anything...just let it finish out...In other words...

Stepaway_copy.jpg

In the mean time sit down and read http://howtobrew.com/intro.html

as well as these threads

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54362

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43635

Relax, this ain't rocket science...but it requires trust and patience...BUT NOT MESSING/FIDDLING AROUND!!!

:mug:

+1 to what Revvy said.

Hey mon... whadjoo worry'n b'out, mon? 'No freht, jus' reelllaaaahhhhxxx...

Don't worry.... go buy a 6 pack of Craft Brewed beer and crack open one or two and slug them (you'll probably need the bottles anyway :D

There are ever so many questions that new brewers have.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to get the following books:

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing
By: Charlie Papazian

How To Brew
by: Palmer

Relax and read them.. (almost) all your questions will be answered.

Cheers,
Awfers

i'll stop touching it. I already found a thread about how it gets carbonated. This is supposed to be a quick fermenting ale though. In the instruction video the guy said that primary fermintation wil take 7 days and than i can bottle it and drink it in another week. He also said to ferment it in 25 C degrees and i'm doing only 20 C. So I'm gonna keep it where it's at and stop touching it for 11 days instead of 7 just to make sure than bottle it. Hope it all clears up by than or I'll feel even dummber.:cross:

the tutorial video is on youtube called making beer the easy way that's what i'm trying to do.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but your instructions are terrible. Yes, it can ferment that hot and that fast. But it's not recommended and it won't be as good.

Ales ferment best (with best flavor) in the 18-20C range (you have that right) and after fermentation is finished, the yeast then "clean up" the beer by eating their own waste products. This is important, and why we all recommend keeping the beer in the fermenter for 10 days to 2 weeks minimum. The yeast actually digest the substances that cause off-flavors, like diacetyl, leaving smoother, cleaner, better tasting beer.

I know it sounds great to be drinking beer in two weeks- but that's why homebrew has a bad rap out in the world. Green beer, fermented kind of hot, and removed from the yeast cake too early just doesn't taste very good. Some people who drink it too early have complained a little about some digestive issues as well (I suspect from the yeast).

If you leave it sit at least two weeks, it'll be a bit clearer than if you don't. Three weeks would be better if you'd like it to look more like commercial beer.

the tutorial video is on youtube called making beer the easy way that's what i'm trying to do.

You have to be careful with some of the youtube videos...some of them are downright Wrong

EDIT

OH GOD NOT HIM!!!!

STAY AWAY FROM HIS VIDEOS HIS INFORMATION IS BAD AND DOWNRIGHT UNSANITARY!!!!!

Please read the threads, and books I mentioned...Craig is not an accurate source of info...

Several of our posters here, have some excellant an informative videos, that a lot of us have looked over and made suggestions on.

There are lots of youtube videos- I've seen some good ones. I've also seen some bad ones that add "sugar and adjunct" by a guy named Craig. (I can't remember the name of the video, though).

If you want to post the link to the video, we can watch it and see if it looks like ok advice.

There are lots of youtube videos- I've seen some good ones. I've also seen some bad ones that add "sugar and adjunct" by a guy named Craig. (I can't remember the name of the video, though).

If you want to post the link to the video, we can watch it and see if it looks like ok advice.

I searched "making beer the easy way" It is CRAIGTUBE

wow you guys are very helpful and very supportive. i am gonna take a bit of extra time for the beer considering all that advice. Craig is the guy who made that video and it is very simple and my guess is not so good but it's my first time i gotta start with some easy stuff. the videos are really easy to find search for making beer easy and find a guy that's got nothing but gray hair and that's the one. i don't expect much out of my first batch and i just want it to be drinkable so I didn't try something more you know classy. I'm gonna give it a week or 2 extar considering your advice.

wow you guys are very helpful and very supportive. i am gonna take a bit of extra time for the beer considering all that advice. Craig is the guy who made that video and it is very simple and my guess is not so good but it's my first time i gotta start with some easy stuff. the videos are really easy to find search for making beer easy and find a guy that's got nothing but gray hair and that's the one. i don't expect much out of my first batch and i just want it to be drinkable so I didn't try something more you know classy. I'm gonna give it a week or 2 extar considering your advice.

Yeah we know about Craig, there's several threads around here explaining all that he did wrong in them...

Making GREAT beer is easy too, look at the beginner threads and watch some of the videos I recomended.

In fact, this is the series that I first learned homebrewing watching, it is by a guy who works at Austin Homebrew Supply. He shows step by step how easy making good beer is...

http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/529_homebrew-beer.htm

Back