Distinct white ring on top of foam/krausen - infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YourWineIsMine

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers!
This is my first meed(+first forum post) and maybe 8th brew so far. So I'm still quite new to this hobby. Advice from more experienced brewers needed :)
This mead got started around 10 days ago. The first 5 days of the fermentation was violent and messy - blow off tube, lots of foam, resins bits etc. After it calmed down a bit, I moved to an airlock and tried swirling it around gently from time to time to get the raisin bits off the walls for around 3 days. For the last 2 days I've been bussy and haven't touched it and now I've noticed a very white distinct ring forming around the vessel walls on top of the foam. The centre of the foam appears clear for now, so maybe it's just a beginging of an infection or maybe something else. Has anybody had a similar thing happen? Should/can anything be done?

1690665636496.jpeg
I'll try to post updates if it spreads.
PS. I tried searching for suggestions online, but didn't quite get anything matching. Maybe it could be start of Brettanomyces infection, but I didn't find pictures of how the beginning of the infection looks.
Recipe:
1.8kg of mixed flower honey (it should have been 1.5kg, but I got distracted)
50g chopped barberry
60g chopped raisins
1 cup black tea
2g yeast nutrient
1/3 packet of yeast FERMIVIN VR5
3.5l mineral water

Last edited:
An Update! It's has been a month since the fermentation started and whilst I was moving some of the fermenters I noticed that the white ring is gone.
I'm not quite sure when exactly it disappeared or if I accidentally swirled it around whilst moving it and it got dissolved, but it's gone.
Thank you to everyone that chimed in with their expertise! Happy brewing!

Back