Worried about my beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHStone

Reaction score
I went away from my apartment for the weekend, and left my fermentor in the basement. Over the weekend I find out my roommate through a perty while I wasn't there, and they were playing drinking games in the basement and someone was sitting on my fermentor the whole time, causing the vodka to get sucked into the beer. To make matters worse, they tried to fill the airlock with water from the spigot and probably got some of that in the beer too. I decided I had to open the lid and look at the beer, to try and determine if it was infected or not. It's my first time brewing a beer with lactose, so I'm not sure how my beer should look or smell, if it should be different than other beers. When I first opened the fermentor, it smelled somewhat sour. After the initial scent though it smelled like beer. The top was covered in the small bubbled you see when I first opened, but they dissipated a bit while I was getting the camera ready. There appears to be some white floating disks, but they aren't as prominent as I've seen them be in other infected beers, and are as visible in person as they are in the picture.
LEt3Hov.jpg

Let me know if I should get pissed and start searching for a new roommate, or just RDWHAHB.
TL;DR is my beer infected.

I'm no expert on infections I'm decently new too, but from that picture it doesn't look infected. Plus your beer has alcohol now so that's a good thing to fight off infection. My buddy actually just did something very similar 4 days ago. He saw a video on "how to check a bucket for a tight seal" and decided to take both hands and squeeze air out of my fermenter and then star San mixed with possibly dead bugs that snuck into the airlock got dragged in.

Did you sample it and taste it? I wish you luck with it. Worst come to worst, make your roommate get you more ingredients

It looks normal to me. Stick another airlock on it and leave it alone. You didn't fill us in on what kind of beer it is... or if you were going to share it with us! We're all about show and tell here.

You sure one of the girls didnt purposely sit on the protruding air lock? Therefor infecting your beer further? Or who knows, maybe it will turn out to be the secret ingredient to an excellent brew.

The "sour" smell was probably CO2.

If this batch does happen to turn out badly, give it to your roomie for when he and his buds play drinking games in the basement. :D

I suspect that the discs you mentioned floating on top are hop oils.
It looks ready to rack. I can see the krausen has disappeared. I would take a final gravity reading and if it's good to go, put it into bottles or keg.
Then get the sorority girls over for drinks and post the pics here.

When you break the seal on your fermenter, it is probably a good time to transfer to a secondary.

I beg to differ. Unless you're adding fruit, aging on oak chips or doing long-term bulk aging, there's nothing to be gained by transferring a beer to a secondary. Leave it in the primary until it's completely done plus a few days and then bottle/keg it.

Me too. I leave it in primary till FG is reached. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle.

I suspect that the discs you mentioned floating on top are hop oils.
It looks ready to rack. I can see the krausen has disappeared. I would take a final gravity reading and if it's good to go, put it into bottles or keg.
Then get the sorority girls over for drinks and post the pics here.
I brewed the deception cream stout as my thrid ever batch and it says to primary for 30 days so that was the plan. Though I'm not sure the advantages of leaving it in primary after the krausen is gone and the beer has settled.

Back