World's Best Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Any recommendations on my next batch (after the batch I have waiting to be brewed - next up is an english mild ale). I think my favorite beer right now is the english brown ales.

What's the best recipe (all time) that you guys have made (or tasted), and been able to reproduce with relative consistency?

This recipe scored a 45/50 (and a gold medal) at the 2010 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition in the American Brown Ale category...

9 lbs 2-row
1.5 lb Munich
1 lb Crystal 60L
0.5 lb chocolate malt

Mash @ 155*F for 60 minutes

Hop Schedule

1 oz. EKG @ 60
1 oz. Liberty @ 30
1 tsp. Irish Moss @ 15
1 cup brown sugar @ 5
1.5 oz. Willamette @ 5

Wyeast 1318 with 750 mL starter

IS there a commercial beer that tastes similar to that Brown Ale? Im picky when it comes to Browns

The three closest I can think of are: 1) Coyote Springs Nut Brown (out of business; but I did track down the brewer and based the recipe sort of on it), 2) Oak Creek Nut Brown (likely not available in your neck of the woods), and 3) Big Sky Moose Drool....

<------------------- This Elk Drool recipe is pretty close to Moose Drool as well, you can see the tasting notes and such....

Back