World of Warcraft got me interested in brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xellios

Reaction score
Yup, I said it. Some of my friends wonder how I went from only caring about commercial brew to having 10 gallons fermenting in about a month. The answer? World of Warcraft.

I started playing WoW roughly 4 months ago and Im pretty into it. I don't play it like 5 hours a day like most people, I do have a family. its just a cool thing to do with friends that live several hours away.

But I digress.

World of Warcraft has seasonal events that take place in the game. One of them is "Brewfest."Kind of like an In-game version of Oktoberfest.

http://worldofwarcraft.com/info/events/brewfest/

ss14.jpg

ss19.jpg

ss17.jpg

I was playing the game one day drinking a Sam Adams and thought, "Wouldnt it be neat to brew my own beer."

And here I am. Kind of funny, or pathetic.

:D

I loved the old warcraft for the PS, that is really cool that they made the world that involved and detailed in the new game. Thanks for sharing.

Yea i still play time to time. Im a big EvEOnline fan now though. More mature players, PvP that actually matters, controlling your own space etc.

But if you play on Ravenholdt (RPPvP server) drop me of my wife a line Alliance side. Main is named Hate or Amberlil. I was a 70 undead lock on there also, but i deleted him and rerolled alliance because the horde outnumbers the alliance 3:1 now!

I used to brew a little in EQ back when I played many moons ago. I remember thinking how cool it would be to brew for real too. It took years, but I eventually got it together.

i made mead because if WoW....

now i q with my shadow priest enjoying a homebrew... gotta love mentioning it with a pug make everyone jealous :-D.

I was an EQ and EQ2 person also but that isn't how I got into brewing.

I'm into Oblivion on PS3, but it seems WOW is so much bigger. Kinda crazy how vast it is, I had no idea.

ScubaSteve said:
I'm into Oblivion on PS3, but it seems WOW is so much bigger. Kinda crazy how vast it is, I had no idea.

Its actually really really REALLY tiny. Especially compared to most other MMO's even of the same age...its a small small world :eek:

Lucious screens...

I've played MMORPG's since Ultima Online (EQ, AO, SWG, D&DO Beta) and would still be today if it wasn't for the birth of my daughter. Life is different now.

I sort of look for new, low time commitment MMORPG's and then realize there is no such thing and concentrate more on brewing.

Thanks for the fix!

:mug:

ScubaSteve said:

Oblivion is absolutely terrific. I play it on 360. If they ever come out with an Elder Scrolls MMORPG, Im jumping ship in a heartbeat

;)

ShadowWulf said:
Its actually really really REALLY tiny. Especially compared to most other MMO's even of the same age...its a small small world :eek:

But it has more players than any other MMO. I think it's approaching 10 million, right? I played EQ and EQ2, but finally got out of MMO's. WHat a horrible waste of time they can become.... notice I said become ;)

I tried WoW for a couple months but really lost interest quick.

I played WOW for 8 months and spent 6 hours a day in the world. Had to quit wasn't getting anything done. now that i don't play I am getting a ton of things done and was able to get my HB on. I miss my warror chick though. she kicked butt.:ban:

Eh, maybe ive just been playing MMO's too long i guess. Only took me a month to hit 60 awhile back, then 2 weeeks to hit 70 when the expansion came out. Its just really fast. After leveling a few characters you kinda realize youre seeing the exact same things, in the same places, every single time. The seasonal events are a nice thouch, but not enough imho to keep me interested for long. Ive also played the game since the day it launched.

It is the biggest MMO because it does one thing really really well: Its easy, its fast, and it has utterly no way to NOT succeed. Such a lite-mmo approach lends it to attracting alot of people who were previously put off by games such as EQ that took time and had stiff penaltys for failure. WOW no rewards you (seriously, in the last patch) with epic gear for free even if you loose EVERY battle you get in the pvp-arena they added awhile back.

People like the gameplay. No matter what, they feel like theyre succeeding. I dunno, im getting old i guess. I prefer harsh gameplay now that punishes the weak and drives the inept straight out of the game-universe in the harshist way possible. One where even the most underhanded, evil, wicked methods of gameplay are though frowned upon still allowed in the player controled universe because thats how the designers wanted it. Player controled. Then again, maybe im just a crazy old fogey who's been playing games since birth of modern video gaming.

http://www.eve-online.com/

ShadowWulf said:
Yea i still play time to time. Im a big EvEOnline fan now though. More mature players, PvP that actually matters, controlling your own space etc.

Here here, I have been playing for a couple of years, off and on. But I did see the WoW Brewfest and almost restarted my account. :p

I tend to cycle in and out of interest in WOW. I'll go a few weeks to a month where I play a few hours every day; then I'll be offline for a month or two without playing at all. I do that with a lot of my hobbies, going all in for a while and then switching to something different (except for beer, I am always all in when it comes to beer).

I've been playing a new online game called Kingdom of Loathing (free). It's more of a text based RPG with a static interface, but it is amazingly expansive. The real draw for me is how irreverent it is (character classes like seal-clubbers and disco banditos). If you're in to the typical item based RPG, I suggest checking it out. There is a wiki for it that is indispensable in making sense of the game when you first start out,

TheJadedDog said:
I've been playing a new online game called Kingdom of Loathing (free). It's more of a text based RPG with a static interface, but it is amazingly expansive. The real draw for me is how irreverent it is (character classes like seal-clubbers and disco banditos). If you're in to the typical item based RPG, I suggest checking it out. There is a wiki for it that is indispensable in making sense of the game when you first start out,

Sounds interesting. I really liked EQ when it more about adventure and less about leveling as fast as you can and "leetness". The powergames and griefers really killed my enjoyment of MMORPG in general.

Since KoL is text based, I'm guessing it attracts a more mature gaming audience?

rdwj said:
Since KoL is text based, I'm guessing it attracts a more mature gaming audience?

I am in a clan that caters to people over 20. Our most active forum is for members aged 40-49.

It's not like most MMORPGs. There is PVP, but again, it's text based and somewhat campy (which is what makes it fun). Check out its wiki if your interested. Best thing of all is, it's free!

Okay so I caved and downloaded the 10 day free trial. I am addicted already. I've only played it for a couple of hours, and I'm almost a level six. Should I just quick while I am ahead? I am thinking of buying a month(or couple) of subscriptions. I don't want this to rule my life. I am TRULY scared. A lot of people get sucked into this fake world. I'm not much of a gamer, but this one is truly addicting..

I played EQ for well over 3 years, and moved to WoW in the beta and played two characters to 60 and quit well before Burning Crusade came out.. and I haven't really looked back, I just don't have time to put the investment of my time into the game, and I have lots of time to brew.

Okay so I caved and downloaded the 10 day free trial. I am addicted already. I've only played it for a couple of hours, and I'm almost a level six. Should I just quick while I am ahead? I am thinking of buying a month(or couple) of subscriptions. I don't want this to rule my life. I am TRULY scared. A lot of people get sucked into this fake world. I'm not much of a gamer, but this one is truly addicting..

If you can play around your schedule you'd be fine. Depends on what you want out of WoW; PvP, endgame? I played 3-4 characters to 70 and mainly wanted pvp, but after a while it got boring. The honor grind sucks, but fun to be in S1 gear and murder someone with S3. Spent many days/nights grinding; gold, xp, honor, gear...

If you are going for endgame you are going to have to find a good guild and get to now 80 as fast as possible. Leveling isn't that bad unless you are on a pvp server always looking over your shoulder.

I got Warhammer now for a few month subscription 26/24 BrightWizard, but cannot put the crazy amount of time into it now.

I played WoW for a while. I got really into it for about 6 months or so. My interest faded a bit but I think I was pushing myself to stop playing it because it was so addicting.

I have obvlbion for 360 but have not been able to get into it. Maybe I'll have to dust it off and try again. I think I never really got into it because I don't have xbox live.

Oblivion is awesome, but it is a lot more difficult than WoW. From what I've experienced, WoW is pretty easy. WoW is fun though. I think as long as I don't spend every free minute playing, I'll be fine. I'm not much of a social person to get sucked into this thing.

If you feel like it.. Roll a Horde Character on Sen'Jin. Look for Beercan or anyone in the guild Chaos Brewing... That'd be my guild. :)

And yes.. we drink and brew mead and beer.

Picture_51.png

I quit back in February of 2006. I've been tempted to start back up ever since. In the time since I've quit, I've finally come to understand what a junkie feels when they've been clean for months and come across temptation.

If my Fallout 3 addiction is any indication of play habits, I think it's very wise that I banned myself from buying WoW. I would never get anything done at all.

I was heavy into EQ but then I joined the Navy. I played a little bit after bootcamp but ended up quiting. Its been like 6 years but I still get temptations to play it, although I know the original EQ is probably dead.

No EQ is still alive and just released the 15th expansion.

EQ2 always sucked.

And WoW hit 11 Million Subscribers......

you guys all suck!!! ;)

you know that diablo, diablo 2 + xp are the best mmorpgs! i also played guild wars since beta :)

diablo 3 i am getting 120%, i might even have to build a new box for it.

Back