Working out water chemistry when diluting 50/50

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moreb33rplz

Reaction score
My last city/state I lived had super soft water, and getting the profile I wanted was a breeze. I've moved and now have to deal with higher alkaline water. I do full volume BIAB. If I dilute my tap water 50/50 with distilled, does that mean I can just halve all the mineral content from my city water report? Does PH stay the same? Alkalinity?

I thought I wasn't an idiot but I cannot figure out Brun Water. Good lord.

Yeah, if you’re not willing to read the instructions for Bru’n Water, you’re wasting your time in trying to use it. User after user can tell you that it’s easy to use once you understand how it operates.

Yes, if you dilute 50/50 with distilled, the concentrations of the tap water will be halved. You need to know your tap water quality. Since RO water is much more economical, it’s use should also be considered, but the concentrations calculation is slightly more complicated. That’s where Bru’n Water helps.

Back