Wood chips in a SMaSH Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ply318ci

Reaction score
I just finished making a SMaSH Barleywine (1 gallon approximate OG of 1.12) using Crisp Organic English Pale Malt withe New Zealand Nelson Sauvine Hops. I was wanting to add some wood chips when I dry hop to this and let it age for a while.

First and Second Question: I only have Hickory and Cherry which one would be best, I was going to toast them myself so any ideas on how long or how hot?

Third and Fourth Question: How long and how much? I don't have access to a secondary vessel so I was going to do it in the Primary for about 7-10 days with the dry hop, would this be ok or should I just forget it.

I have looked up tons of information on this from this site but nothing dealing specifically with what i am trying to do, thanks.

I saw that link it is really informative will the same taste carry over to beer? I want to use toasted cherry wood i got for free from Williams and Sonoma.

I haven't heard of anyone using cherry wood in beer. If you use it, let us know what you did and how it turned out.

Yeah I am not quite sure if I want to do it now. I am going to enter this into my first beer competition and don't want to enter something that turns out like crap. I might just try it on half and test them back to back and enter the one I like the most.

Wood character isn't appropriate for a Barleywine if you're entering it in a comp under the Barleywine category. You could wood-age it and enter it as a "specialty" but you'll probably get dinged for being out-of-style in 19B or 19C.

Nateo-Thanks for that information I am going to scrap the wood chips all together then. On second thought as anybody every used wood chips in a Pale Ale before, I have 2 gallons of Pale Ale fermenting right now it has a OG of 1.04 or so and I want to make it something special out of it, maybe do the wood chips in one gallon and then nothing in the second. Would this be advisable or would this be to much for a simple pale ale to handle I don't want the wood to interfere to much with the clean flavor thanks.

PS: The pale ale is made from the second runnings of the Barleywine (4lbs of Crisp Organic Pale Malt) then I added about 2oz or so of crystal 60L and let it steep in the 160 degree water for 15-20 minutes before collecting the water. Hopped at 60-30-15-0 (.1oz each time) with New Zealand Nelsaon Sauvin hops.

I've only ever used oak, but 1oz/5gal is subtle, 2oz/5gal strong.

I like to add oak to (almost) everything. IMO the vanilla/oaky flavors match well with most kinds of hops. Couldn't say on the other woods though.

A good way to test wood flavors is to steep some in near boiling water, just like tea. This will give you an idea of the aroma and flavor the wood will add. It's the closest taste test you will get without actually adding it to your beer.

I would not use more than 1oz per 5 gallons when you do add it. You can always increase the amount and or time, but you can't remove it once it's there....monitor the flavor closely throughout your secondary phase.

Back