Wonder Yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcbobs

Reaction score
About 6 months ago, I decided to make some JAOM using bread yeast, but I did up a 2.5 gallon batch with 10 lbs of honey and ended up with an O.G. of 1.122.

I was a little apprehensive to use bread yeast like the recipe suggests as everything I had been reading about the yeast said that it would not come close to fermenting out enough sugars.

Well, I just took a F.G. to see if the yeast had pooped out early or knocked back some of the high amount of sugars and was pleasantly surprised when it showed a gravity of 1.010. It had actually hit 90.9 apparent attenuation! According to my calculations, this equates to about 15.1% ABV.

:cross::ban::ban::cross:

Apparently, daily degassing and nutrient additions for the first week really helped the yeast do what it needed to!

Does anyone else out there have any similar experiences with using bread yeast to achieve higher than normal alcohol?

CHEERS! :mug:

Back