WLP850/Wyeast 2042/Omega Danish Lager Yeast/(Maybe Imperial Hygee) experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hey all! I pitched WLP850, 50F, into a simple Pils which is 95% Pils and 5% light munich Sunday. There was activity right at 24 hours and well...I've never used this strain lol What are your experiences with this strain? Good, bad? Is it just a run of the mill macro lager strain? Also would WLP850 happen to be the same strain as Imperial Hygee?

Wow I just had to respond because I recently made a Pilsner too! It was fun to brew a simplified batch and low ABV. White Labs has very good yeast and I too have experienced action right away. Usually dies down after 2 nights. I wouldn't say that it is a run-of-the-mill strand because WL really knows their ****.
Just curious what is the average temperature in the closet space, or whereever you ferment? Mine fluctuates between 72-89*F.

I only used 2042 one time many years ago. I was not impressed by it. Don't remember specifics except that I didn't think it was worth the bother or any better than my go-to dry strains, S-189 or Diamond. Apparent attenuation was 76%. Some people love the stuff, maybe one day I'll try it again, but for now I'm pretty much sticking with Diamond most of the time.

I'm not sure what the Omega or Imperial equivalents are. But can confirm, 850 and 2042 are close sisters.

I only used 2042 one time many years ago. I was not impressed by it. Don't remember specifics except that I didn't think it was worth the bother or any better than my go-to dry strains, S-189 or Diamond. Apparent attenuation was 76%. Some people love the stuff, maybe one day I'll try it again, but for now I'm pretty much sticking with Diamond most of the time.

I'm not sure what the Omega or Imperial equivalents are. But can confirm, 850 and 2042 are close sisters.
What didn't you like about it?

Edit: Helps if I read lol With that said what are you experiences with Diamond and what temps do you ferment at? That has been on the to do list for a bit. Was thinking about just ordering a single dry pack and building a starter. That way if I liked it it'll end up a bit cheaper in the long run.

Last edited:
What didn't you like about it?
I looked up my old tasting notes from 6 years ago. There were some low esters, tutti-fruity and lemon. However this might have been my own fault for fermenting warm at 64 F.

Edit: Helps if I read lol With that said what are you experiences with Diamond and what temps do you ferment at? That has been on the to do list for a bit. Was thinking about just ordering a single dry pack and building a starter. That way if I liked it it'll end up a bit cheaper in the long run.
With Diamond I often ferment at 65 F. Turns out great. No need for a starter, one pack will do 5 or 6 gallons just fine, regardless of temperature.

How is the lag time at 65f?
I looked up my old tasting notes from 6 years ago. There were some low esters, tutti-fruity and lemon. However this might have been my own fault for fermenting warm at 64 F.

With Diamond I often ferment at 65 F. Turns out great. No need for a starter, one pack will do 5 or 6 gallons just fine, regardless of temperature.

After two batches with this strain I can say it really reminds me of Heineken. More so in the can than in the green bottle. I like this strain but want to try it in something a tad less hoppy. Both batches I've used it in have been around 28-30 ibus. Wanted to drop that down to somewhere in the 17-20 range and see how I like it. Works really well in hoppy lagers though. It really accentuates the hop bitterness imo

I use 2042 in my Dortmunder Export and Pre-Prohibition Lagers. I love it
I'm fermenting much cooler than others who have posted, 48F.
Have you tried that strain in any light lagers? That's on my to do list. Have to get two FSU kickoff brews knocked out, then a slew of Oktoberfest recipes so going to be September/Octoberish before I try that

Back