WLP550 Sweet Spot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dok

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone who has used WLP 550 Belgian Ale yeast has tried different ferm temps. Is there a sweet spot as far as temperature that gives a good balance?

I haven't used the yeast, but based on the White Labs website, you should be fermenting between 68F and 78F. Expect more spice and phenolics at higher temps with more muted flavours at the lower temps.

These things are general to expect with almost any yeast you use, so you just kind of have to play around. Some people may start low, then slowly raise the temps over a week during the fermentation to create somewhat of a balance, but it probably doesn't hurt to experiment.

I haven't used the yeast, but based on the White Labs website, you should be fermenting between 68F and 78F. Expect more spice and phenolics at higher temps with more muted flavours at the lower temps.

These things are general to expect with almost any yeast you use, so you just kind of have to play around. Some people may start low, then slowly raise the temps over a week during the fermentation to create somewhat of a balance, but it probably doesn't hurt to experiment.

I like to step up the temp with other styles like a Hefeweizen. I was thinking of pitching at 64 and letting fermentation up it to 68, then bump it up to 72-75 to finish. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea, though if I were brewing, I would probably start at the floor of 68, then bump it up. Either that or just simply start high.

With my personal philosophy when it comes to experimenting with new things, if you are wanting to get some of that yeast character, do a lot of it and ferment high. If it was too much for you, then play around, but at least you really know what that yeast is going to give you... :)

Balance is going to be up to you and your recipe. I love beers with lots of esters and phenols. I just call that flavor for short but some people hate them. The vast majority of yeast flavor is going to be produced in the first 24-48 hours as the yeast cells divide and prepare to conquer your wort. If you want to see what your yeast is capable of start at the top range or above and work your way down. Ramping the temp from low to high will limit ester and phenol production while minimizing the fermentation time and reducing stall probability.

Back