The latest Go-Ferm variant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyMosin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two meads that I have started with the newest version of Go-Ferm... Go-Ferm Sterol Flash.

The Sterol Flash is used in the same amount of grams as the prior two versions, so the calculators are all the same as far as that goes.
The large differences are that:

1. you use 1/2 as much water - I like this as I generally am adjusting the batches to be pretty much spot on to the OG I want and having less water in yeast pitch affects my OG less.
2. this doesn't need to be diluted in warm water to properly dissolve. Just add it to your water that is at pitch temperature.
3. Lallemand claims that yeast attemperation isn't necessary. Now I don't know if they are referring to temperature difference, pH challenges of the must or possibly both; I still added must to the yeast after 15 minutes to adjust it to the pH of the environment it is about to get put into.

While it is to soon to know if it is "better" than the prior versions, I can say that the meads started off very nicely and that not having to have a hotter water to dissolve the yeast hydrant was very welcome. As noted above it was also nice to use half the amount of water as in some cases it was almost 375ml that was part of the yeast pitch.

The short story is that I will likely use this full time once I use up all of the Go-Ferm Evolution that I currently have.

Last edited:
Back