WLP546 Marañón Canyon Wild Cacao

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutant

Drinking problem: Can make more than I can drink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a fairly neutral beer (4.5 gallons) with late hops to test this new yeast - the goal was to see what the yeast does and not influence much with the malt or hops. The end result is a hazy sour beer. I have handed out six bottles to get reviews - warning them that it is sour. I will update as I get feedback, if they'll talk to me after drinking it. My impression is it is too sour for me, but will age for six+ months to see if that mutes it some. I hope to submit to a competition in the fall/winter to get feedback from the judges, as it is outside my expertise.

GoldPils 5.3 lb; flaked wheat 0.6 lb; rye 0.6 lb; melanoidan 0.5 lb; caraaroma 0.1 lb; carafoam 0.4lb and 1.5 pounds of honey (added late); I might have been drunk when I came up with recipe. Hops (all cashmere) 0.6oz 35min; 0.7oz 15 min; 0.8oz 5 min with a total boil time of 80 min. No water adjustments, and used some whirlfloc @15min.

Ferm temps started at 65F and gradually trimmed up to 75F over 18 days. I'm thinking I could have gone up to 30 days without any serious impact.

OG=1.066; FG=1.017 @18 days. Attenuation ~=73%. ABV~=6.4%.

The beer I made with this yeast wasn't sour at all. Sounds like you got a lacto infection.

(It's definitely hazy, though! That yeast doesn't flocc at all.)

The beer I made with this yeast wasn't sour at all. Sounds like you got a lacto infection.

(It's definitely hazy, though! That yeast doesn't flocc at all.)
What temp's did you ferment? That could be the difference. I've had six people review the beer and all say it is the yeast and not an infection.

I fermented it in the mid-70s.

But I mean, sour = lacto. Yeast alone doesn't make anything sour, and White Labs' info says nothing about lacto being involved in this strain.

Back