Wlp530

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samaral

Reaction score
I haven't used any Belgian strains so this maybe a silly question. Do I need to treat them as a sour strain when it comes to equipment? Meaning separate equipment so it doesn't infect other brews. Thanks

I second the "no extra equipment" thing. It's just yeast. You only need seperate equipment if you use bacteria for a sour beer. I just used this yeast for a Tripel. It was a 1.092 beer fermented at 74°F. It has a nice mellow yeast taste with a bit of banana. I love it! I will suggest using a blow off tube. I've never seen a thicker creamier krausen even on other big beers. I needed the blow off for almost 3 days. I fermented for 6 weeks at 74°F and cold crashed for 1 week. It turned out excellent. I drank 1/2 and I'm aging the rest. I'll definitely use this strain again!

Thanks I'm paranoid about contaminating my brewhouse. I going to brew a rye ale with it. Any thoughts onhhow they will go together?

I second the "no extra equipment" thing. It's just yeast. You only need seperate equipment if you use bacteria for a sour beer. I just used this yeast for a Tripel. It was a 1.092 beer fermented at 74°F. It has a nice mellow yeast taste with a bit of banana. I love it! I will suggest using a blow off tube. I've never seen a thicker creamier krausen even on other big beers. I needed the blow off for almost 3 days. I fermented for 6 weeks at 74°F and cold crashed for 1 week. It turned out excellent. I drank 1/2 and I'm aging the rest. I'll definitely use this strain again!

seconding that. Westmalle strain (wlp530, etc) has crazy krausen. my 1.5 gal batch of it has as deep of krausen as there is liquid. I learned my lesson about blowoff tubes after 3 days in a row of cleanup from it last summer.

What hops do you guys think work with this yeast

I have minimal experience with Belgian beer brewing. What I can say is look at recipes written by well known brewers and what they use. Then I would dig some more to find out why they used what they did and how much. I've written several of my own recipes with deicent success but I used other beer recipes as a template. I highly suggest the book "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. It has 80 recipes that all have won awards. They do a great job of breaking down each one for all grain and extract. That's where I got the recipe for my Tripel. It's called Strict Observance Belgian Tripel. I love it, and the book! Good luck!

I set up a starter yesterday with 530 and forgot to add a couple drops of Fermcap S. This morning there was a mass of yeast the consistency of pudding all over the stir plate and countertop, probably in excess of 100 billion cells. Don't forget the Fermcap!

I set up a starter yesterday with 530 and forgot to add a couple drops of Fermcap S. This morning there was a mass of yeast the consistency of pudding all over the stir plate and countertop, probably in excess of 100 billion cells. Don't forget the Fermcap!

Yup. I alluded to it, but in more depth: of all the Belgian/Trappist strains I have used, Westmalle has the most / highest / most persistent krausen by far. US05,T-58, both dry Abbaye variants, Ardennes, Duval, Chimay, Westmalle: I have all 8 going at once for an experiment (1.5gal in 3gal fermenters) currently, and Westmalle's krausen was true impressive compared to all others.

I've used Kent Goldings, Styrian Goldings, Saaz and Fuggles with success.
I love Westmalle, have fermented from the 60s through the 80s with good results.

Back