WLP002 English Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurry64

Reaction score
I made a Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale this morning. I chose WLP002 because I wanted a low attenuating yeast so the beer would have a malty character.

I made a 1.5 L starter. The yeast was very, very chunky or lumpy. I've never used this yeast before and none of the other White Labs yeasts that I have used looked like this. Has anyone noticed this chunky appearance with WLP002?

I'm not worried. In fact, I'm very impressed because there was airlock activity within 4 hours of pitching.

I have a starter of the same yeast going right now. It is very thick coming out of the vial. I think it was like that the last time I used it about 5 yrs ago.

In case you ever do it again, Wyeast 1968 is the same strain (from Fuller's) and will basically look like egg drop soup or cottage cheese in the starter. They're just super-flocculant yeasts and will drop out early on you if you're not careful. Oxygenate them well and raise the temperature over the course of your fermentation to get the most work out of them

daksin said:
In case you ever do it again, Wyeast 1968 is the same strain (from Fuller's) and will basically look like egg drop soup or cottage cheese in the starter. They're just super-flocculant yeasts and will drop out early on you if you're not careful. Oxygenate them well and raise the temperature over the course of your fermentation to get the most work out of them

Good to know. Active fermentation was noticeable right away and has slowed down considerably. All in < 1 day.

The temp is ~69 now. Tomorrow I can move it to an area that is~72. I don't have an in between.

Thanks

scurry64 said:
Good to know. Active fermentation was noticeable right away and has slowed down considerably. All in < 1 day.

The temp is ~69 now. Tomorrow I can move it to an area that is~72. I don't have an on between.

Thanks

I have the exact same problem. I have a pale fermenting in the basement at 66 because upstairs is 75. I got two solid days fermentation but it has now slowed and much has dropped out of suspension. What's worse, high temps or falling out early?

Back