WLP0001 out of fridge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primer

Reaction score
I bought some WLP0001 yeast today while at work, and it sat in my truck this afternoon, approx 65 deg outside. I got off work and forgot the yeast in the back seat. It'll drop to probably the 50s where I park my truck until I can get to them tomorrow morning around 7am to refrigerate them. Will they survive being that warm for that long?

RDWHAHB I know I know. I'm planning to brew Sunday, should I make a starter Saturday to prove them?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Ok my question is this then:

What's my ratio I should use if I make a starter using dextrose? I always see them using dme, but I dont have any of that handy. I'm doing an American pale ale Sunday if that matters

Ok my question is this then:

What's my ratio I should use if I make a starter using dextrose?

Do not make a starter with dextrose. If you grow new yeast that are provided dextrose as their nutrient, in as few as 2-3 generations they can lose the enzymatic ability to metabolize maltose.

When you pitched the starter, a portion of the newly grown yeast might not be able ferment your beer, and any yeast that they produced would also lack the ability.

I'm sure that someone on here has done it, and their beer has turned out ok, but it is certainly not optimal or conducive to healthy yeast reproduction for beer fermentation..

So light dme is the only way to go Eh?

Back