WLP 565 vs. Belle Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
Making a saison and my LHBS has both, wondering what would be best for fruity taste as well quicker fermentation?

I think that Belle Saison has more fruit than 565 (3724). I have used it quite a few times and am very impressed. It is. a beast like 3711 and will finish very low. It also is not as temp sensitive as the DuPont strain, which if the temp is not very high it can take a long time to finish.

Just brewed with Belle saison for the first time. Very fast fermentation. Took a 1.055 to 1.008 in 3 days.

I wonder how it would do in a golden strong ale.

I pitched two packs for 12 gallons of 1.052 and it attenuated quickly.

Regarding tasting notes, I really enjoyed this beer and it did very well with saaz aroma hops. Not a ton of spiciness and I got quite a bit more fruit than I was expecting.

I pitched at 65 and then let it naturally rise over the course of a few days.

This is a yeast I'll be using again for sure.

Thanks for the reply. I am checking with my LHBS to see what they have. Hopefully either this or the 3711. I am hopping with Saaz and EKG. What did you raise it to? I can either let it go where it wants or use the aquarium heater to raise it in a somewhat controlled manner. I would like to get some of the spicy notes but always happy to have the fruit in a nice light farmhouse beer.

I brewed this in the summer when ambient temps in my basement were in the mid 70s. I chilled and held at 65 for a day or so then let it rise uncontrolled outside of my ferm chamber.

I would suggest you try to get this to finish in the upper 70s to low 80s which may require a heat source this time of year depending on your location.

My fermentables were 85% 2row, 5% c40 and 10% table sugar to help dry it out a bit. I used magnum to bitter and dry hopped with saaz.

Another option if you can find it is 3463, Forbidden Fruit. I've only used it once, but found it produced amazing aromas on its own fermenting in the mid 70s.

Back