WLP 565 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shattstar03

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Saison yesterday, I pitched at 70 degrees, went to work came back and the temp rose to 82 in my room within 6 hours. There was a lot of activity going on at that time, so I was able to get the temp down to 68 degrees for the last 12 hours.

My question is, should I let the temperature go back up or keep the temp low like I'm doing now? There is a ton of activity going on right now, should I let it all finish out at 68 degrees, then let it go back up once its settled?

I'm afraid of band-aid beer so that's why I dropped the temp. Also, I'm not very experienced with this strain of yeast.

You typically want to ferment saison's at high temps. Even 82F is fine. However, you usually don't want them to ferment that high early in the fermentation. You usually want to start low (in the 60s) and gradually move the temp up a few degrees each day over the course of a week or so. This helps reduce hot alcohol flavors. You should try to do this now.

So I reduced the temperature for the past 2 days, its been lingering between 62-66 degrees, it's at 62 right now. When should I start raising the heat back up to the 70's? Also, would I experience any fusals with my beer warmer for the first few hours?

Back