WLP 500 Starter Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkausch

Reaction score
I'm brewing a second batch of a Dubbel (10 gallons), and both times now I've had problems with starters.

Both times I've done this, I've made a 2L starter the night before, using 200 grams of pilsner DME, a TSP of Urea / Diammonium Phosphate (the yeast nutrient from LD Carlson), and a bit of fermcap to control foaming during boil. I'm using a stir plate, with the stirring action turned down pretty low (so I can just barely see a vortex start to form), Both times, by the time I get around to brewing the next day, I see no evidence of the starter having kicked off. No krausen, no vigorous bubbling, nothing.

The first time around, I saw that the yeast had expired, so I attributed the issues to the expired yeast, and went out and picked up two vials of fresh yeast, and pitched directly into the wort after cooling, and it turned out great (gold medal and a pro am).

Today, I'm attempting a re-brew based off of the feedback from the competition results, and I have the same results from the starter. The yeast is most certainly not expired (it's really fresh: Best Before June 16, 2015). The only difference this time around is that I oxygenated using a pure-oxygen setup for 30 seconds.

So, is this a common thing with this yeast? Should I pitch the starter anyway and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance!
Rob

Most times I dont see any activity of fermentation with my starters unless I use wlp530. you should see the wort get lighter because of the yeast growth

That yeast is a know slow starter. I usuallly do a starter the night before brew day, but when using that yeast I start it much earlier.

x2 on WLP 500 being a slow starter. I brewed a dubbel this past Sat, and made a 1/2 gal starter of WLP 500 on the 8th. Took maybe 48 hours before I noticed significant activity in the starter. Put in the fridge Friday, pitched Sat night, and good activity in the main batch within 12 hours. Now that I think about it...the starter was probably around 68° in the kitchen pantry.

I went ahead and pitched the starter into the wort, and it did start fermenting overnight. Not as vigorous as I would like for the start, but it'll work this time around. On the next brew with this yeast, I'll be sure to start it at least 48 hours ahead of time, to make sure it gets a good start.

Thanks for the help!

I used the WLP 500 in a abbey ale quad, and yes it started slow, but in the end was happy with it.
I'm going to repitch it into a lower gravity wort and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back