Texas WL Yeast for Metroplex

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yohoe

Reaction score
I'm looking for White Labs, which LHBS don't supply (that I know of). My last order from MoreBeer in April (~70s ambient throughout the country) took four days to arrive and arrived warm with an insulated envelope and two ice packs. I see Austin Homebrew has WL, which is a possibility. Any preferred options that don't require next day air (1-2 days shipped I'd figure)?

Thank you

Thanks for the reply. My concern would be given the warm temp, I'm assuming yeast viability was negative affected thus impacts the starter size. I'd prefer to keep unknowns out as much as I can :D Thoughts?

Thanks for the reply. My concern would be given the warm temp, I'm assuming yeast viability was negative affected thus impacts the starter size. I'd prefer to keep unknowns out as much as I can :D Thoughts?
There's no way to tell yeast viability, unless you dye them to see living vs dead cells.. You can count yeast cells using a microscope, but that only gives you X amount of yeast cells per volume, not the viability. A starter ensures healthy yeast from X amount of living cells left over in the pack. You should be more than fine with a 1.5L or a 2L starter from a pack that got warm.

There is a new homebrew shop coming to Dallas that'll be at Preston and Davenport that I'm pretty sure will stock White Labs. I want to say he said he'd stock White Labs, Wyeast, and Imperial yeasts.

Look up North Texas Homebrew Supply. I believe he's going to open in the next 2-4 weeks. He's already taken a couple orders.

Back