Wit Yeast in a Grisette?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protos

Die Schwarzbier Polizei
Reaction score
Gentlemen, in my search for a low-alcoholiс traditional style I came upon such a style as Grisette, which I have never tasted.
I found some great style guidelines in the "Farmhouse Ales" and especially in Dave Janssen's blog. I know now that the traditional yeasts for Grisettes are Saison yeasts. Which I don't really want to use since I want a very low-alcoholic beer (max 3 ABV) while Saison strains will attenuate my 1.032 OG wort too low. (Also, I have already brewed plenty of strong Saisons this summer, just don't want to get tired of the flavour).

My queston is, what do you think, is it OK to use Belgian Wit yeasts in a Grisette? Does anyone else use it?
As I understand, Grisettes don't need too much of yeast flavours anyway, so maybe some less-flavourfull Wit yeasts (like MJ M21, f.ex.) will go well?
Or will it go against the style too much?

Last edited:
The difference between a lot of saison strains and wit strains is not particularly significant. I think most wit strains would be perfectly fine for the style. I think saison yeast make great wits, too. (Funkwerks White is made with the BSI equivalent of 3711 and it's one of my favorite wits.)

Thank you, that sounds reassuring. So, I will try a Wit yeast without fearing to stray too far from the traditional style. If I had had tasted a real Grisette I wouldn't worry so much, however I hadn't, so I got no real reference point of what the finished product must be like.

I'll brew a 2.5-3% Grisette with 20% of French malted rye (hope that will leave more body than wheat), M21 Belgian Wit yeast and hopped to 18 IBU with Alsatian hops (like Triskel for bittering and Strisselspalter for aroma).

Back