Winter Gose (Cranberry-Orange-Hibiscus)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigPerm

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3209 (Oud Bruin)
Yeast Starter
Slurry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
60+ days
Tasting Notes
Big cranberry, assertive acidity, slight brine.
4.5 lbs Belgian Pale Malt
2 lbs Wheat Malt
2 lbs Flaked Wheat
0.5 lbs Turkish Honey
0.5 lbs Flaked Oats
0.25 lbs Aromatic Malt
0.25 lbs Acidulated Malt
0.3 oz Calypso (16% AA), boil 60 minutes
15g Sea Salt
3 tbsp Hibiscus Flowers
2 oz fresh Orange Zest
1 lb dried cranberries (rehydrated in Riesling in the cold for 48 hours)
1.5 lbs fresh cranberries, freeze-thawed (after fermentation complete)
1 qt Cranberry juice (secondary)
Hibiscus to taste (secondary)
Wyeast 3209 - Oud Bruin (repitched from previous fermentation)

Mash 150 for 90 minutes. Boil 60 minutes, chill onto cranberries and salt in the fermenter. Pitched slurry of 3209. Fermentation complete after 7 days, added fresh cranberries. Racked for aging after a month. Added extra hibiscus and cranberry for extra flavor. Took 2+ months to reach an assertive acidity level. Bottle conditioned at 2.9 vols CO2.

If not using 3209, a culture of L. brevis + a primary saccharomyces strain should work well.

First Place, Specialty Beer, 2015 Bloatarian Open

Did you mash the Acidulated Malt with the rest of your grains? I've seen some Gose recipes where you add it to the mash after an hour or so

Did you mash the Acidulated Malt with the rest of your grains? I've seen some Gose recipes where you add it to the mash after an hour or so

With that small amount, you can add it to the main mash. With larger percentages I usually add after 45 minutes.

Might have to give this a try but might use OYL-605 Omega yeast labs since that's what I have on hand.

I am going to be brewing my own cranberry orange gose. I am trying to debate if I should use dry sweet and tart Orange peels and coriander or just use the orange peel in its place

No coriander. I thought it might detract from the other flavors and I find coriander really easy to overdo. In hindsight, it might have worked but I don't think it's missing it. YMMV.

No coriander. I thought it might detract from the other flavors and I find coriander really easy to overdo. In hindsight, it might have worked but I don't think it's missing it. YMMV.

Thanks for the input! I have a one week (kettle sour) gose that I've brewed several times before but am planning on using cranberries and like I said before sweet and tart Orange peels to have around Christmas

I used city water, cut ~ 20% with distilled (IIRC). We have pretty solid water here in SW Ohio. Which ions are you interested in?

This looks like an interesting beer to attempt, I've never brewed a gose before. Do you need a different fermenter with this yeast strain however? I know for some sour style the yeasts can be hard to clean out and contaminate "clean" styles.

This sounds amazing...MUST BREW! A few questions: 3209 isn't available, what would be comparable? I'm thinking either OYL 605 or Roselare but am open to suggestions. Also, what was your ferm temp? My keezer is also my ferm chamber so I'm REALLY hoping I don't have to either go months without beer on tap or build a new chamber lol. Lastly, when you say you added cranberries in secondary for flavor I'm assuming you used fresh/frozen-thawed? Thanks for the help, I can't wait to get this one going!

This looks like an interesting beer to attempt, I've never brewed a gose before. Do you need a different fermenter with this yeast strain however? I know for some sour style the yeasts can be hard to clean out and contaminate "clean" styles.

Yes, since the yeast used (WY3209) contains Lactobacillus it will forever contaminate any cold-side plastic equipment used i.e. plastic fermentor, airlock, bung, bottling bucket, siphons, etc. essentially anything that touches the beer after boil should be designated to sour/wild brewing from then on unless you enjoy chasing infections :eek: Cheers!

Finally going to brew this (2 years later!)...One quick question: Where do you use the orange zest? I'm on the fence about whether it goes into the boil or secondary. Thanks!

Back