Wine, Temperature Control and Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeNomad

Reaction score
I am considering doing the primary fermentation with some wine kits in my corny kegs and I am just wondering if there are any reasons not to do so. I want to use the corny's because I don't own or have room for a primary bucket and I will be able to clean out the grape skins pretty easy (I hope). Up to now I've done my primary in 6 gallon carboys.

Also from what I've read in this section of the forum is that temperature control isn't as important in wine making as in beer making? What is the reason behind that, would it be the acidity or do wine yeast not throw off the some compounds as beer yeasts? No reason to throw the corny's into my mini fermentation dorm fridge then?

The only issue I see with doing primary in a 5 gallon kegs is that wine kits are 6 gallon kits. They also use wood chips and sometimes dried grapes and/or elderberries which will clog up any diptube you have in there. There is quite a bit of crud with wine kits. For secondary, it'd be fine until you degassed. Degassing is easiest with a wine whip, which could be hell on the thin stainless of a corney.

Temperature is important in winemaking, too. However, many wine yeast are tolerant of high temperatures- at least one strain is suggested at "57-95 degrees". So, if you find the strain that works well at a temperature you will have, then you should have very good results. My house is in the low 70s in the summer, and I've never had an issue with wine while for ales I have to keep them in a temperature controlled area.

The 6 gallon kit size would be an issue. I won't bother putting carboys in my fridge then since my condo temp is usually under 77 F (25 C) in the fall.

As for gumming up the diptube, I was planning on hooking up the "gas out" port to a blow off tube so that no debris should travel up the diptube aside from whatever collects around it. I suppose the dip tube could be unthreaded completely. But basically what I am hearing is get a primary bucket anyway, then don't worry about cleaning out grape skins and elderberries.

hello, treat the corney keg as any carboy. remove the dip tube. remove the pressure release from the lid, it unscrews. buy any generic airlock off ebay. cut 1/2 inch off of a 5/16 inch id racking tubing, start it on the end of the airlock then heat it a little with a lighter. (this takes patience) push it on by shoving it against a wall or door. you may have to wiggle it or tap it. "screw" the airlock into the lid of the keg(with the tubing on the bottom) until it seats or the airlock starts bending.
leave about 2 1/2 inches from the top (lid) to fill with your vino. (if primary)
i have used these kegs for primary and aging for years and it works great.
if the seal is not satisfactory, add a couple pennies under the legs of the lid lock for a tighter seal. go wine!!

Back