Wine recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bristolcity

Reaction score
Hi I was thinking of making two 1 gallon batches of wine next one gallon mango and one gallon strawberry with honey anyone have any decent recipes for these.
Thank you In advance

I use Jack Keller's website a lot for recipes and recipe ideas. He has recipes for EVERYTHING!

Here's a link to the list: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp

I always go there first when I'm making something new, or when I want to see how others use the ingredients I have. His website is a treasure.

I use Jack Keller's website a lot for recipes and recipe ideas. He has recipes for EVERYTHING!

Here's a link to the list: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp

I always go there first when I'm making something new, or when I want to see how others use the ingredients I have. His website is a treasure.

Keller's website is good, but more for the ideas he helps generate than for the recipes themselves. IMO, he prefers to use less fruit than you might think would produce a reasonable body. But in any event, "recipes" seem to me to be less useful than principles and benchmarks. In other words, rather than look to see if Keller uses raisins in his recipe for banana wine or elderberry wine try to understand why anyone would add raisins (is it for flavor or for the nutrition it provides the fruit you wish to ferment? Is it to add mouthfeel to what might be a thin wine? If , for example, raisins are added for nutrition for the yeast because the fruit lacks nitrogen or other necessary elements then perhaps you simply need to add nutrition and energizer.
By benchmarks I guess all I mean is a reasonable understanding of say, the pH the fruit will have and the pH that best suits the yeast you want to use; the qualities of the yeast you wish to use and how - or whether - it matches the fruit you are fermenting; the tartaric or malic or ascetic acids you want to measure in your wine (you would look to measure the malic rather than tartaric of say cider (IMO) and the levels that best suit the fruit you have; the amount of tannins you prefer in this or that wine; the balance of sweetness against acidity, the mouthfeel, the clarity, the solidity of color
Last point - IMO - you want to add the least amount of water to any fruit (other than perhaps reduce the acidity) and press out as much of the liquid as you can from about twice or three times the amount of fruit your first guess is regarding how much fruit you need to obtain 1 gallon of wine. More is often (tho not always) better. My rule of thumb is that if you think the taste of the juice you have pressed gives you pleasure when you drink it before you add yeast then that is about the right dilution. If the flavor is too bland now, it will be no better just because all the sugars have been converted to alcohol.
Very last point - when it comes to mangoes, you can expect to lose about 1/3 of the must to lees. I have never made mango wine with fresh fruit but have made several batches using bottles of mango juice. Very drinkable when made with a starting gravity of about 1.090. But I suspect this would have been even better if I had had access to mango skins. With strawberries, you may want to try to filter out the tiny seeds. (I would freeze the strawberries and then mash the thawed fruit).

Thanks for the link yooper and yet again thank you Bernard your advice has been great

Yooper that recipe link you have me is awesome so many recipes you wouldn't even think of cheers

Back