Wine kit fermentation activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keggie

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and wine making and hoping someone out there might be able to help me.

I have started a Vintners red wine kit and added the yeast as per instructions, so far on day three I haven't heard any activity from the airlock. Keeping an eye on it i believe it might be moving very slowly but can't be sure. I have successfully done 100's of beer kits and the air lock goes crazy active within a day. Would the wine kit be similar to a beer kit or does it behave differently?

I was half wondering if it was too cold in my house and it affected the yeast, however don't want to add more if it is all good, also don't want to wait weeks before taking a reading to find fermentation never started. Maybe i'm worried for nothing and the wine kit just behaves differently to beer, but would love to hear any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advanced!

Have you taken a gravity reading or see anything going on in the must? What is the temp of the room like? It’s possible that the yeast weren’t viable.

Sometimes I don't see much activity in the airlock with wine- but you should have some foamy top and/or bubbly liquid in the fermenter. Open the top and take a look, and if it looks like nothing at all is happening, take an SG ready to check.

Cheers guys, It looks like I may have been just too impatient, It started bubbling away on about days 4 -5. Now its been going crazy since.

The temp on the side of the barrel said it was 18 degrees C at the start and now its up to about 22. so i'm happy its warm enough. I'll leave it a bit longer as per the kit instructions and take another reading!

Regards

Latest posts

Back